Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Which foods do you think should not be labeled as “organic”? (Your response need not be a serious one if you don’t want it to be.) ~

Which foods do you think should not be labeled as “organic”? (Your response need not be a serious one if you don’t want it to be.) ~

Posted - January 16, 2023

Responses

Spam.
    Chicken nuggets.
    Twinkies.
      January 16, 2023 11:39 AM MST

Liver, because it would be redundant. 
      January 17, 2023 9:39 AM MST

To me the term "organic" used for food is meaningless. I just read the USDA guidelines for using this term. This is a total misdirection by an industry (?) for the appearance of an important distinction for products.

The USDA would have helped consumers far better to have gone in the direction of labeling foods as "adulterated", in other words, ingredients added that only benefit the manufacturers' convenience and expense.

For example, the ingredients in the bread I buy are 
    Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Water, Cracked Wheat, Salt, Yeast.

I never have a problem with shelf life, mold, or other excuses for adding extraneous ingredients. What are the ingredients in your bread/rolls/buns?

Sorry, this isn't actually answering the question. But, because of my daughter's dietary limitations, I've had to read every food label that comes into the house for over 50 years. You will note that I avoided answering this one for several days. It finally found me in a weak moment!
      January 18, 2023 8:46 AM MST

Lol, technically, that’s part of the reason I posted the question in the first place. There is dual manipulation going on here at the hands of the Madison Avenue/Wall Street bed partners, all in pursuit of the almighty dollar. One side of that manipulation is jumping onto a bandwagon with “hip” phraseology  to appeal to consumers’ sensitivities about fads and buzzwords. The other side of the manipulation involves the two aforementioned industries’ age-old gimmick-driven practices that they hope will dupe the barely attentive masses into believing in the hype. Don’t worry, I agree with a large extent of what you’ve posted here.

For instance, your sentence:

To me the term ”organic’ used for food is meaningless.”

is exactly in line with my philosophy that knee-jerk labels such as “organic” are practically the same as claiming a food product is “edible”, or “digestible”, or “chewable”, or “the eggs we sell were naturally incubated in a non-manmade form leading up to placement on your grocer’s shelves”, lol. How about, “this beverage is liquid (or liquid-based)”, or “the sodium ingredient has a salt-like taste”!

There’s no need for you to apologize about failing to answer my question, because your answer is 100% appropriate! When you’re right, you’re right! Kudos!

~

January 18, 2023 1:28 PM MST

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. To go even farther off on a tangent, I've recently heard TV commercials for products (usually over the counter meds) using the terminology, "FDA cleared". Now if I remember correctly, the terminology used to be "FDA approved". Without looking it up, to me the meanings are "FDA cleared" means "will not kill you". "FDA approved" means it will do what is says it will. I may be wrong, but I don't care. This post was edited by NYAD at March 12, 2024 6:31 PM MDT
      January 18, 2023 3:43 PM MST