Active Now

Shuhak
Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » When you figuratively sweep your "stuff", does it go under a rug or under the carpet?

When you figuratively sweep your "stuff", does it go under a rug or under the carpet?

Posted - January 19, 2023

Responses

If you meant this literally (I don't need any more arcs over the head), the only area of this apartment that can be swept is the balcony. I live on the second floor, so when no one is looking, it gets swept over the edge.
      January 20, 2023 4:53 PM MST

I guess what I really meant is, if you use that expression, do you say "rug" or "carpet". 

I say rug. To me, carpet is wall to wall and secured to the floor. I don't get how one would manage to sweep anything under it! 

I won't tell, as long as you're just sweeping dust. ;)

I am not a fan of figuratively sweeping things under rugs. Stuff just grows bigger and starts to really stink under there when you do that. In my opinion, of course. 
      January 20, 2023 5:06 PM MST

It's not an expression that I use very often, but I believe that I use the word rug.

It's true, this place is all wall to wall carpeting. My daughter uses a walker so we avoid use of rugs as a tripping hazard.

It's mostly leaves and twigs (outdoor stuff) on the balcony.
      January 20, 2023 5:16 PM MST

Rug, for sure.
      January 20, 2023 5:45 PM MST

Carpet. 

(Is this question really just a surreptitious reference to my failure to respond to the civil lawsuit you’ve filed against me? Grrrrrrr.)
    ~

February 5, 2023 11:10 AM MST

Good luck with that, Randy D. Every bit of it. 

February 7, 2023 8:00 PM MST

I’m still hoping that you and I can settle out of court. (Shhhhhhh.)

~

February 8, 2023 5:00 AM MST