Discussion » Questions » Weather » Have you had any atmospheric river storms in your area, lately?

Have you had any atmospheric river storms in your area, lately?

Another example of language that does not need fixing...but this time it is Yahoo news instead of The AP.

Posted - January 30, 2023

Responses

Yes, earlier this month the atmospheric river storm brought us a major snowstorm.Not sure what you mean about language that doesn't need fixing, though.
      January 30, 2023 1:47 PM MST

They could just say rain storms or snow storm as in your case. 

I was referring to The AP telling people not to use "the" in front of a group name.  ie. the poor, the French (which they apologized for using), the disabled etc.
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/139657/is-using-quot-the-quot-in-front-of-a-group-of-people-offensive

This post was edited by my2cents at January 31, 2023 11:20 AM MST
      January 30, 2023 3:10 PM MST

The atmospheric river is not a snow storm, it causes a snow storm. I have heard this term for decades when following weather stories that discuss and predict long term weather forecasts. I was not aware it was being used in the main stream media and I'm guessing that is what you're objecting to. 
      January 30, 2023 6:03 PM MST

Yes, evidently it is a CA thing as Shuhuk says the term is overused.
      January 30, 2023 6:20 PM MST

A month ago we had what they were calling a atmospheric river storm. And I thought what the heck is that and I wondered if I was going senile because I couldn't remember a meteorologist ever using the words  atmospheric river storm. I also wondered if it was a new type of global warming rain category but I don't think it is - I think they are just trying to be dramatic.  So I am going to do a bit of research and see if there is a difference between heavy rain and atmospheric river storms. Cheers! 
      January 30, 2023 3:31 PM MST

Maybe their new thing...kind of like nor'easter was several years back. 
      January 30, 2023 5:49 PM MST

I used to have a old sailor buddy that used to call me up and tell me to baton down the hatches because a  nor'easter is coming. He was really in tune with the weather. Cheers! 
      January 30, 2023 6:09 PM MST

Yes.  
    Personally, I think the term "Atmospheric River" (AR) is being overused and misused.  It seems like any time a storm dumps over an inch of rain on California, the news quickly labels it an AR.  This only panics the public.  Technically, nearly every storm that comes into California from the west or southwest will have an some type of AR attached to it.  
    Whenever a cold front moving over the central and eastern parts of the US pulls up moist air from the Gulf of Mexico (very common in the spring and early summer months), it's creating an AR; yet I rarely hear it called that. 
      January 30, 2023 3:49 PM MST

We call it...rain around here.  :)
      January 30, 2023 5:46 PM MST

I call it rain as well (or snow, depending on the temperature).   Of course, back in the 80's they called it a "pineapple express" - more bad terminology. 
      January 30, 2023 8:49 PM MST

I've never heard the term "Atmospheric River".

I live in the northeast and major rain storms that come in from the Atlantic or up from the Gulf of Mexico are called hurricanes. If we get excessive snow, it's called a blizzard. The rest of our rain/snow will come from Canada, the southeast (the gulf) and from the mid-west with no special names.

The terms nor'easter and superstorm are occasionally used but the individual weather reporter pretty much decides when to use them. This post was edited by NYAD at January 31, 2023 11:22 AM MST
      January 30, 2023 6:10 PM MST

The term hurricane comes from the size and strength of a storm, not its direction. Many of our storms in the northeast are called nor'easters, and whether we get rain, snow, or a mix simply depends on temperature.
      January 31, 2023 2:33 AM MST

A hurricane must reach a strength (74 mph) but also form in the Atlantic Basin  AND move NORTH/NE/NW from point of origination.  
      January 31, 2023 6:56 AM MST

What is the tried and true term?  I don't even know what an atmospheric river is.
      January 30, 2023 11:43 PM MST

It must be a river up in the atmosphere, lol!
      January 31, 2023 2:34 AM MST

The atmospheric river is a large system of water vapor that forms in the tropics and moves in the upper atmosphere north to the cooler regions causing heavy precipitation.  

It was the precipitation (rain) that filled the reservoir not the atmospheric river (water vapor). 

January 31, 2023 7:52 AM MST

Rarely, if ever. We don't get enough moisture from the Gulf to form one.
      January 31, 2023 11:24 AM MST