Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you think the diagnosis and treatment provided at Urgent Care centers is as good as at your primary physician?

Do you think the diagnosis and treatment provided at Urgent Care centers is as good as at your primary physician?

For injuries,  my experience has been fine, but for other conditions,  I have not been satisfied.  I also have heard many stories of wildly inaccurate diagnoses.

Posted - February 1, 2023

Responses

I too have heard some negative things about Urgent Care.   So far, I haven't had a problem with the one I go to (can't say that about the Emergency Room at the local hospital).  
      February 1, 2023 10:02 PM MST

We have had no problems at the Urgent care. 

One, saved my life by insisting I go to the ER and calling them herself to explain that she believed I was septic. (This was an ER not connected to the UC)  I was in the hospital for just over a week. 

Another time, not an UC but a regular primary care appointment there was an intern in the appointment.  The intern diagnosed a possible cause that the PC had not mentioned before.  The intern ended up being correct.  I think a fresh set up eyes/thoughts was a help there. 

In my experiences,  PC did not seem to want to stop/fix the issues rather just manage them. 
      February 2, 2023 8:52 AM MST

I have never been to one. I use the ER if it is bad enough.
      February 2, 2023 10:53 AM MST

I went to a minute clinic a week ago and she gave me just the right med.  The problem is almost cleared up. I should have told my PA when I saw her but I thought it would go away.  Guess what...it didn't. 
      February 2, 2023 5:21 PM MST

It depends on your reason for going.  Urgent care does basic lab tests where many primary doctors do none and send patients to a lab.............so they can be exposed to sick people.
      February 3, 2023 9:13 AM MST

I don't recall why I went to one in the first place, but that was where they diagnosed my atrial fibrillation, so I have to say I'm happy with their diagnosis.
      February 3, 2023 10:29 AM MST

I'm realizing that not all providers are the same. I had some bad luck at Urgent Care and some amazing treatment in the ER, and I'm mostly satisfied with my primary care, but it looks like lots of patients have different experiences. 
      February 3, 2023 11:36 AM MST

Fortunately, I haven't had a lot of experience with urgent care.  The ER at the closes hospital to me is awful.  Even though it has been taken over by a big hospital system, I'd still rather go to urgent care first, I hope you're feeling better now. 
      February 4, 2023 8:49 AM MST

I'm fine, thank you. The UC prescribed a course of steroids and when I pushed back, said I  could try Zyrtec + Benedryl (both of which are heavily sedating and not recommended for any over 65), but said it probably wouldn't clear up without steroids. I was able to see my doctor the next day. By contrast, she said steroids were used in only very severe allergic reactions and told me to take a slightly higher dose of a non drowsy antihistamine. Had I just followed the first treatment, I would have had side effects that were worse than the original problem and possibly dangerous. The UC had a nurse practioner, rather than a doctor and I suspect she didn't have a very wide range of experience. 
      February 4, 2023 11:33 AM MST

Glad to hear that.  I didn't realize Benedryl was not recommended for anyone over 65.  I haven't had to take it.  I take the generic of Claritin during allergy season.  Both Amazon and BJs has a large quantity for a small amount of money.  In general, I am leery of steroids.  
      February 4, 2023 12:52 PM MST

For urgent issues, it's better than the ER - you get seen sooner. I only use the nearest if I can't get an appointment with my regular GP and it's a "right now" issue, like when I sprained a finger recently and thought it may have been broken. Otherwise I'd rather see someone who is familiar with my medical history. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 4, 2023 6:38 PM MST
      February 4, 2023 6:37 PM MST

I have been twice over the years and both times were very efficient and was tended to in good time.
      February 6, 2023 5:22 PM MST