Discussion » Questions » Finance » Generally, does the US government benefit* more when taxpayers owe it money when filing annually, or when it pays those who overpaid? ~

Generally, does the US government benefit* more when taxpayers owe it money when filing annually, or when it pays those who overpaid? ~

*The word benefit has a variety of definitions and/or ways it can be applied, not just financially. Please consider a broad interpretation of the word in regard to the question. Thank you. 

Posted - February 15, 2023

Responses

I believe the federal government is too big to care.
      February 15, 2023 2:13 PM MST

You see it's like this... a certain amount is "withheld" from each person's paycheck (despite what people may think, the "F" in FICA doesn't stand for the word used by people when they see the amount that was withheld).  Anyhow, all that money is put into stocks of high trading companies like Amazon and Apple (which is held overseas where there is no tax, therefore Uncle Sam never has to pay taxes on his stocks).  So when it comes time to pay back any "overpaid tax (which, if you'll note, is alway paid after the first of the year so as to always maximize the amount back from their stock purchases), the feds have already accumulated massive profits that anything they are "forced" to "pay back" is a mere pittance in comparison.  If they did not withhold any $$ and then forced taxpayers to pay it all back in a lump sum, the federal government would go broke.    Oh, and if those stocks happen to go down over the course, they quickly raise the debt ceiling and blame any losses on Dave in accounting for giving them bad stock tips (thanks a lot, Dave!).
      February 15, 2023 2:51 PM MST

Dave's not here.
      February 15, 2023 7:17 PM MST

No, man, I'm Dave, man.
      February 15, 2023 8:38 PM MST

How did you come up with that? Have you been hanging out with Rosie again?
      February 15, 2023 8:52 PM MST

Pure humor.   I was trying to be as absurd as i could.    
      February 16, 2023 10:27 AM MST

That’s Rosie for you!
      February 16, 2023 10:50 AM MST

Too many variables to calculate. It probably is about the same.

February 15, 2023 7:20 PM MST