Discussion » Questions » Education » Other than the United States of America, which countries have a large section of their physical geography designated* as the “Midwest”?

Other than the United States of America, which countries have a large section of their physical geography designated* as the “Midwest”?

*Not necessarily only in the English language; the designation can be worded in a foreign language.
~

Posted - February 19, 2023

Responses

Ours is the Outback.
      March 6, 2023 3:01 AM MST

Thank you, but that contains neither of the words mid nor west; I was referring to something specifically containing those two words.
    ~

July 19, 2023 4:02 PM MDT

I have seen on Norwegian road maps the middle bit - North of the coast's Westwards bulge into the North Sea - called Midt Norge but I don't think that's an official regional name, just a convenient map reference.

And what of the Mediterranean Sea? Literally, "In the Middle of the Land".

The central part of England is called The Midlands; the County name for the area of that which contains the city of Birmingham and surrounding towns is the West Midlands: much closer to the Welsh border than it is to the English East coast.
      July 19, 2023 3:41 PM MDT

Thank you, but only two of your entries contain the words mid and/or west; I was referring to something specifically containing those two words. Your West Midlands comes closest. 
    ~

July 19, 2023 4:01 PM MDT

Fair enough - but to be honest it's pretty unlikely any other country uses the term even in its own language! :-)
      July 19, 2023 4:08 PM MDT

But that’s exactly why I posed the question: to find out.
    ~
      July 19, 2023 4:12 PM MDT