Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What are some things that you only know how to put together because you know how to take them apart? ~

What are some things that you only know how to put together because you know how to take them apart? ~

Posted - February 24, 2023

Responses

The vacuum cleaner comes to mind.
      February 24, 2023 12:13 PM MST

I am usually careful to dismantle things so I can re-assemble them, but....

It is certainly not my drawing-board, a whacking great professional-size thing with a very heavy board mounted on a parallelogram link motion balanced by a massively powerful spring, and locked at the height and angle you set by a very complicated brake mechanism. 

I took it apart without making any notes because I'd tried to convert to using CAD (Computer Aided Draughting), thought I would no longer need a space-hungry and extremely heavy drawing board, but failed to find a buyer for it so decided I may as well scrap it.

Then discovered the word "Aided" needs be taken with a very generous pinch of salt.... "Hindered" is more appropriate. I thought learning to make MS 'Access' databases hard but this is even worse.

So I tried to re-assemble the thing. No joy. I could not work out how it should be, nor how to adjust it; ended up with not only small parts but also holes left over. It's still in bits, and I have to be content with using the CAD CHD software to that small fraction of its potential that is possible for me!

March 5, 2023 4:10 PM MST

My thoughts. 
      March 10, 2023 5:49 PM MST