Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why is NY wasting resources on a Trump case about the Stormy Daniels payoff when they have no case?

Why is NY wasting resources on a Trump case about the Stormy Daniels payoff when they have no case?

The statute limitations is up.  

The falsifying of business records is a misdeanor. The sol is 2 yrs. 
As a felony class E, the sol is 5 yrs. 

All of the Stormy Daniels stuff happened in 2016.
That is 7 yrs ago. 

This is just another publicity attack for the media to run with but has no chance in court. 

https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/goingtocourt/SOLchart.shtml

Posted - March 20, 2023

Responses

Is the Stormy Daniels "case" what Trump said he would be arrested for on Tuesday?
      March 20, 2023 6:45 PM MDT

Yes. 
      March 20, 2023 6:47 PM MDT

OK then. We shall see what we shall see.
      March 20, 2023 7:25 PM MDT

Places do think they are wasting resources for someone his age. 
      March 21, 2023 5:27 AM MDT

As NYAD says, we shall see what we shall see. As of now, the morning of 3/21/23, Trump has not been indicted and maybe he won't be. There are certainly arguments on both sides regarding whether this is a worthwhile investigation and I won't have an opinion until I see what they have. I do have doubts about any case whose star witness is Michael Cohen. 

If you are interested in why the statute of limitations can be extended, there is plenty of information out there if you care to do some research. This again will be looked at when trying the case if there is an indictment and it goes to trial.
      March 21, 2023 7:14 AM MDT

Is there any other source of information on Trump's imminent arrest other than his post on Truth Social and the repeated news reports about his post?
      March 21, 2023 7:41 AM MDT

As I understand it there were leaks of talks between law enforcement and SS about enhancing the security of the facility where they would be holding former-President Trump.

There is a site reporting indictment tomorrow now but will not be in front of a judge until the following Wed. 
      March 21, 2023 2:08 PM MDT

Here is a video that I just watched that has some answers to your questions about why Bragg is pursuing  it. The judge does make what appears to be an incorrect  statement about the statute of limitations, so no explanation is provided as to why it was extended. You may find it helpful or you may just prefer whatever sources you currently follow.

This post was edited by Jane S at March 21, 2023 4:40 PM MDT
      March 21, 2023 10:26 AM MDT

Thank you, but Judge Napolitano was wrong on the statute of limitations. He said it is 7yrs.  
    As I showed in my link above. For a 
    felony it is 5 yrs. Even if they extended the 1 yr for covid. That is still 6 yr and that is past. 

They want to perp walk him and get on video so they have a commercial for the election.   
      March 21, 2023 2:10 PM MDT

You are right, I missed that. I edited my post. As. I said earlier, there are reasons that the statute of limitations can be extended, generally having to do with the defendant being unavailable for prosecution. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
      March 21, 2023 4:45 PM MDT

The other it about being "continuously out of the state," Trump while POTUS was still visiting NY on a regular basis. (The complained about his travels)  
    So they maybe able to stretch it by how "continuously out of state" can be defined. 

March 22, 2023 6:42 AM MDT

It's pretty hazy that's for sure. Another legal expert said the policy of not indicating a sitting president might be argued or they might have proof that the alleged crime continued for a longer period than we previously knew. I'm not arguing that anything is right, but I curious as to what they will say. 
      March 22, 2023 9:04 AM MDT

The NY law says it can be extended if the suspect is "continuously out of state" or "whereabouts unknown" neither of these two apply. 
    But it is about to be moot. Cohen's former attorney just blew the case up. 

March 23, 2023 5:55 AM MDT

I used to like Napolitano, but not trusting him now. He is saying different things on different channels. I just saw him tonight on Newsmax saying 5yrs so it is up. 
      March 30, 2023 7:06 PM MDT

For once, I agree with you. The whole thing is 'Who cares?..
      March 21, 2023 1:32 PM MDT

No, it’s more due process. Whatever the result.
      March 21, 2023 1:38 PM MDT

Absolutely...but I don't care.
      March 21, 2023 1:43 PM MDT

I think you agree with me more than that.... :)
      March 23, 2023 5:56 AM MDT

What’s wrong with having due process play itself out, whatever the outcome?
      March 21, 2023 1:37 PM MDT

Statute of limitations is up (6 yrs with adding the 1 yr because of covid) ....that due process.  By continuing this, Braggs is violating due process.  
      March 21, 2023 2:12 PM MDT

You people have got to stop sucking me into this topic. From what I glean from this evening's news is that the grand jury in NYC is not evaluating Trump (or colleagues) paying off Ms. Daniels, but how that money was accounted for. All this speculation and attitude is giving me a headache.

How do we know exactly what the grand jury is deliberating when a grand jury is supposed to be conducted in secrecy?
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/rule_6

Lastly, several years ago I gave up trying to research (get to the bottom of) hot topics. I started with "Is Lee Harvey Oswald really the assassin of JFK?" to "Obama's citizenship/birth certificate". It's VERY hard work. I'm too old and tired to keep doing this! Thank you.
      March 21, 2023 5:27 PM MDT

That is about the Stormy Daniels payoff...is it not? 

Yes they are going after a business records Case and tying it to campaign fund laws making it a felony. 

Again, sol is 2 yrs for the records, but upping it to a felony gets to 5ys. They added a yr for covid. That is 6yrs. This happened in Oct 2016. We are past that sol. 

There is a claim they get more time because he was in the WH. But the law says "continuously out of the state." Even while POTUS Trump still visited his Trump Towers regularly....we know this because the media complained about it. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at March 23, 2023 7:53 AM MDT
      March 22, 2023 6:39 AM MDT

I don't know why they are bothering, the Daniels case is chicken feed. January 6 is the one worth pursuing, that one could see him strapped to a table on a KCl drip. Treason and insurrection are CAPITAL crimes.
      March 22, 2023 7:06 AM MDT

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not indicted or if the case is dismissed. I actually think the classified documents issue is the most likely to stick. But this case just brings him more attention, more reasons to fund raise, and to play the victim. 

March 22, 2023 9:08 AM MDT