Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Should the murderer who murdered a guy on the subway be charged with murder?

Should the murderer who murdered a guy on the subway be charged with murder?

Hello:

excon

Posted - May 7, 2023

Responses

Insufficient info in the Yahoo report. Please follow up your post with the District Attorney's statements (complete, not selected statements) on this case. Thank you!
      May 7, 2023 9:17 AM MDT

Hello N:

Can you not come up with your own conclusion?  The facts are clear.  What the DA says matters not, since you can SEE the ENTIRE episode. 

If you have something to report, report it.  You're welcome. 

excon

This post was edited by excon at May 8, 2023 7:18 AM MDT
      May 7, 2023 10:07 AM MDT

Sorry, there is insufficient information on which to base a conclusion. I've asked for further info but it hasn't been provided.
      May 7, 2023 3:15 PM MDT

Hello again, N:

If you don't have enough information to answer the question, why do you?

excon
      May 8, 2023 7:32 AM MDT

I didn't answer. I requested further info.
    A response doesn't = an answer.

What was your point in posting your question? Were you only interested in knee-jerk reactions? Was there a point??
      May 8, 2023 8:24 AM MDT

Hello again, N:

Well, I certainly didn't post to get a bunch of "I don't knows".  I asked for opinions.  You didn't have one, and wanted to tell us about it..  I have no idea why.

excon This post was edited by excon at May 8, 2023 9:15 AM MDT
      May 8, 2023 9:12 AM MDT

I did give you my opinion! Not enough information to evaluate an answer. That's my opinion!!
      May 8, 2023 10:21 AM MDT

Hello again, N:

Okee doakee.

excon
      May 8, 2023 10:47 AM MDT

No.  Premeditation is required for a murder charge.  Penny did not get on the train with the intent to kill anyone.  
      May 7, 2023 9:34 AM MDT

Hello S:

Ok..  I'm cool with 2nd degree murder or manslaughter.

excon This post was edited by excon at May 7, 2023 10:08 AM MDT
      May 7, 2023 10:01 AM MDT

Only first degree murder requires premeditation.
      May 8, 2023 6:25 AM MDT

I think he should and will be charged with manslaughter.  

It is a sad that the systems in NY failed this mentally ill man. He had a long history of aching out on the subway and a long violent criminal history as well. But things such as no cash bail and catch and release for some crimes failed to get this man the help he has needed for at least 10 yrs. 
    He had a current warrant out for assault against a 67yr old woman...he should have been in jail or a mental hospital. 

This post was edited by my2cents at May 7, 2023 5:22 PM MDT
      May 7, 2023 5:21 PM MDT

No cash bail is a relatively new occurrence, so you can't blame everything on that.  I do agree that he should not have been out on the street if there was a warrant out for him on an assault charge.  His father knew he had serious mental issues.  Why didn't his family do more to help him?  Why does help fall on the government? This post was edited by Spunky at May 8, 2023 8:37 AM MDT
      May 8, 2023 6:35 AM MDT

What would they do? Police cannot do anything...they arrest and DA releases them.   
    If they are arrested then they are in the system and either police themselves or the defendants attorney would see this person needs mental help and the person would get he help they need. Buy catch and release stops this from happening. 

Why is it the government responsibility? 
    He was poor and homeless...he would certainly qualify for gov assistance. Something 
    not arresting and getting him into the system also deprived him. If he was in the system he would have had a case worker who would have made sure he was receiving mental/medical/housing help.
    Are you saying NY state should not help their mentally ill homeless people?  

May 8, 2023 6:53 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

I agree..  When someone is having a mental issue, they shouldn't respond by sending men with guns.

excon This post was edited by excon at May 8, 2023 7:44 AM MDT
      May 8, 2023 7:36 AM MDT

There is a reason we send police....it is a dangerous situation that can turn violent at any moment. I feel sorry for any social worker they send in to handle someone having a mental episode, they are likely to get hurt. 
      May 8, 2023 7:42 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

Right wingers see every problem as a nail, and they're the hammer..  This is NOT sustainable. 

I haven't posted about it nor have I read much about it..  But, there is a growing segment of society who think we're OVER POLICED.. 

Are you aware of this grass roots movement??  No???  Check out 1st Amendment Audits on YouTube.  The crazy thing about the auditors, is they're mostly staunch right wingers - yet we walk hand in hand..

excon
      May 8, 2023 9:33 AM MDT

I see the problem as....enforce the laws as written. And get people who need help the help they need.  

May 8, 2023 1:05 PM MDT

Catch and release did not go back as far as this person's issues with the law.  He didn't have to be homeless - he has family.  If they were so concerned about him, why didn't they take him in and make sure that he got the help he needed?  Aren't you the one that believes in people helping themselves and not relying on the government for everything?  Now, you say the government should take care of him.  Make up your mind.  
      May 8, 2023 8:13 AM MDT

Again. He has had incidents with the law since catch and release any one of those could have gotten him into the system and gotten him the help he needed. Instead, he was ignored and made people feel threatened on a subway train and lost his life.  
    People say they wonder why people do not stand up and get involved to help others when threatened....this is why. Penny defended himself and the others on that subway. And it went badly, and he will likely pay for it with his life in prison. A sad situation all around. 

What I say is those who are of working age who are MENTALLY and physically able to work should be required to work to qualify for gov assistance. This 

man was not mentally able to hold a job. 

May 8, 2023 12:39 PM MDT

You talk about catch and release like it's only in NY that this happens.  The guy who killed a bunch of people in Allen, TX had a rap sheet as long as my arm.  What was HE doing out on the street?  Texas is a red state?  
      May 8, 2023 3:47 PM MDT

Nope it is not just NY doing it, there are idiot DA all over the country. This case happens to be in NY, so it is the NY idiot DA who applies here.  

The Allen, TX shooter did not have a "serious criminal record" according to CBS News.  
    The one in Cleveland TX did. But he was 
    not catch and release. He has been deported 4 times (deporting is not catch and release) 3 times under Obama in twice in 2009, once in 2012 and then once under Trump in 2016...he came back in under Biden.....maybe we should get that border secure again. 

May 8, 2023 7:29 PM MDT

My mistake, he was the one who was thrown out of the military after a short time due to mental issues.  That should have raised a red flag, don't you think?

EDIT TO ADD:  I had him mistaken for the guy who ran over 8 immigrants at a bus stop in Brownsville.  It's hard to keep them all straight. This post was edited by Spunky at May 9, 2023 9:11 AM MDT
      May 9, 2023 7:45 AM MDT

Hello S:

It's a red flag if you're looking for red flags.  But, if you knew that red flags would piss off your benefactors, the gun makers, you'd wanna look the other way..

excon
      May 9, 2023 8:45 AM MDT