Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Are we required by law to provide a quality life to the animals under our care?

Are we required by law to provide a quality life to the animals under our care?

Hello:

And, if the law doesn't require it, should we anyway?

excon

Posted - May 14, 2023

Responses

I would imagine that laws differ from state to state.  Having said that, I believe that we have a moral obligation to provide the best life and care possible for animals under our care.  When you take on the responsibility of being a pet parent, it's no different than taking care of a child.  People who abuse animals are as despicable as people who abuse children and should be prosecuted for their behavior.
      May 14, 2023 8:26 AM MDT

People who abuse animals are often the same people who abuse children.  I noticed that when a story of cruelty to animals makes it into the news, half of the time the animal abuser also has an offense against children in his background.  People who treat animals poorly almost always treat people poorly as well.
      May 14, 2023 11:34 AM MDT

I think animals are usually seen as property, unfortunately. The standards of care required by law for both pets and livestock are pretty abysmal, in my opinion. 
      May 14, 2023 8:35 AM MDT

If not by law, by human decency.
      May 14, 2023 8:50 AM MDT

In my state, laws require adequate food, water, shelter and exercise for all animals in our care. I assume that is true in most states. Of course we should do it anyway, but people are sometimes stupid, uncaring or cruel, so laws are needed.
      May 14, 2023 9:34 AM MDT

Hello again,

Thank you all, but I should have been specific.  I meant to include the pig you are about to eat.  Savvey Ainsley got it.

That brings up another question, though.  Do you consider animals, who're raised for your consumption, under your care?

excon This post was edited by excon at May 16, 2023 5:47 PM MDT
      May 14, 2023 9:45 AM MDT

There are laws about cruelty to animals.  You can get in trouble for lack of minimum care, ie. Food, water, shelter.  And abuse.    
    These laws would apply to pets, farm animals and animals for food.
      May 15, 2023 5:04 AM MDT

Yes, or more accurately not about "quality life", but laws against cruelty to animals, both domesticated and wild. (UK)
      January 11, 2024 11:40 AM MST