Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Language » Have you ever taught a foreigner to speak English, or at least attempted to? If so, how did it happen? How well did you do?

Have you ever taught a foreigner to speak English, or at least attempted to? If so, how did it happen? How well did you do?

Companion question:

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/140507/have-you-ever-attempted-to-learn-a-foreign-language-but-gave-up

~

Posted - May 30, 2023

Responses

Yes. When I worked at an elementary school many years ago, I worked one-on-one with a student who had recently moved from Guatemala. There were many migrant agricultural workers in the area. 

He was a very sweet and smart boy. I think it went very well.
      May 31, 2023 8:30 PM MDT

No, because my friends that came here from other countries could speak English quite well. They came from Hungary, France, Italy, England, Pakistan, and a co-worker from Haiti. There was my ballet teacher from Russia that barely spoke English at all, but she wasn't interested in chatting. She came with her mother, two sisters, and a niece. The sisters and the niece all spoke English well. This post was edited by NYAD at May 31, 2023 8:51 PM MDT
      May 31, 2023 8:49 PM MDT