Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Why do you or why did you mainly use the highway/thoroughfare/expressway instead of using the back roads?

Why do you or why did you mainly use the highway/thoroughfare/expressway instead of using the back roads?

[~]

Posted - June 10, 2023

Responses

It was to get my shipment of avocados, mayonnaise and Vegemite to you as fast as possible.  Why else?

June 10, 2023 8:47 AM MDT

Delivery not accepted, intended recipient no longer resides at this location and left no forwarding address. Please dump your trash right back in the lap of the shipper. Grrrrrrr.

~

June 11, 2023 12:51 PM MDT

I put the avocados in the basket on your counter.  The mayo’s in the fridge and Vegemite’s already in your pantry.  Enjoy. 
      June 11, 2023 6:51 PM MDT

Grrrrrrr! How in the heck does she keep getting in here? Who’s assigned to the outer perimeter and the front gate and the secure sandwich pantry/massage oil locker! I want them all fired and replaced! Why can’t I get good help these days!

:(

June 11, 2023 7:43 PM MDT

Livvie, you really know how to get Randy's dander up and going.  hahahaha

June 14, 2023 9:48 AM MDT

IKR.  It’s a skill I’ve honed to perfection. 
      June 14, 2023 3:57 PM MDT

Faster, better fuel economy, avoid wildlife encounters when it's dark outside. 

June 10, 2023 9:19 AM MDT

To get to my destination faster.  During the winter the main highways are salted vs. back roads that are not.  2 years ago I took a back road to make a 20 minute trip it took me over an hour of hair raising encounters with ice and snow on the street, never again. 
      June 10, 2023 7:43 PM MDT

The bloke in the heading picture needs learn lane-keeping before road-choosing!

Where I have the choice, I choose by whichever I feel the most efficient, easiest or most pleasant / least unpleasant for the specific journey. Not necessarily the same route for all trips between the two places.

For example....

- When, as is much less common for me now (due to fuel cost), I visit friends in the North of England my "standard" outwards route is about 70 miles of very varied ordinary roads to the motorway, 200 miles along that then about 40 miles on more very varied ordinary roads to my destination.  Return along the same roads. Assuming no major delays, my times respectively average about 1.5, 5.5 and 1 hour, with no more stops than necessary. I have made it in less than 8 hours, but not often.

However, occasionally I return by a not-very-parallel route that cuts out a lot of the very busy but dreary and tiring motorway, and takes me though a lot of very attractive countryside. Yes, it is considerably slower although I forget the distance difference; but much less stressful.

That does seem very slow: >5 hours for 200 miles on a motorway whose nominal speed-limit is 70mph (theoretical non-stop time just under 3 hours), but the usual couple of "T-&-P" stops, one refuelling stop, generally slower traffic including temporary lower limits, and actual congestion easily knocks my speed from the very unlikely maximum 70 throughout, to a mean <40mph.  In fact sustained 70mph is a bit much for my car. It will do it but at cost of higher fuel consumption and more tiring for me: I prefer to cruise at about 60-65mph. Nor can I drive for 3 hours without breaks! This post was edited by Durdle at June 18, 2023 7:03 PM MDT
      June 18, 2023 5:16 PM MDT

it is since november 2022 that i have a car... 

There's lot of things i havent done yet much....

I dont know much about the highways in my city.... like many of them i dont know the exits and where they can lead... 

my city is an island, theres the north coast and south coast of the island.... both have bridges but i havent adventured myself to these places yet, mainly cuz i dont know these cities much so i dont know the main streets and how to get back to my city . 

I know using a GPS or google maps on my cellphone would allow me to get anywhere easily but simply that way you dont learn by yourself

July 2, 2023 5:58 PM MDT