Active Now

Pet Eater
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Does anyone here know anything about that elevation and boiling time thingy?

Does anyone here know anything about that elevation and boiling time thingy?

Shortly after our resent move to Parksville I noticed that my doobies were burning way faster then they did back at the old place. Parksvillle is pretty much at sea level and it  has a way lower elevation compared to our old place. So what I am thinking  is the reason my doobies are burring faster is sort of like that thing were water boils faster at sea level. Cheers!

Posted - June 15, 2023

Responses

At sea level, water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. The boiling point drops by about one degree for every 500 feet of elevation.

Not sure if or how that affects the burning of joints.
      June 15, 2023 6:36 PM MDT

Interesting. I know baking takes longer and needs hotter temps at higher altitudes. I think it's possible that your doobies are burning a little hotter. But I have no idea how much of a change in elevation it would take to be noticeable. 
      June 15, 2023 7:14 PM MDT

Yeah I find it interesting too and I'm thinking I should apply for a government grant to study the effects elevation has on getting high. There is a fairly high mountain close to here so I might time how long a joint burns in Parkville and how long a joint burns on top of Little mountain. Cheers!
      June 15, 2023 8:30 PM MDT

Higher percentage of oxygen a lower elevations.  I don't know the shift in elevation of your question, bu if it small, you should not notice anything. Boiling point of water is the opposite, Higher elevation...lower boiling point.
      June 15, 2023 7:20 PM MDT

Water does not boil "faster" according to altitude. Its boiling-point is inversely proportional only to altitude; and does not change for any given altitude however much you raise the heat or temperature of your stove. (Remember, heat and temperature are not synonyms.)

The proportion of oxygen in the air makes no difference, and anyway does not change much with altitude although air-pressure decreases with increasing height.

Although I do not know what are "doobies", I can't understand why any food might burn more easily at sea-level than at high altitude though, unless it burns at less than 100ºC (212ºF). Over-cook perhaps, but not burn.
      June 20, 2023 3:38 PM MDT