Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Education » Flesh-eating bacteria. Two-hour option. Voter-approved initiative. South-facing wall. Mayonnaise-free meals. Gas-powered engine.

Flesh-eating bacteria. Two-hour option. Voter-approved initiative. South-facing wall. Mayonnaise-free meals. Gas-powered engine.

What are some phrases which include hyphenated words that would have completely different definitions without the hyphen?
  ~

Posted - August 31, 2023

Responses

Randy!  I have some great news!  My villainess club reformed!  Umm, no Randy, not that kind of reform.  We re-formed after being apart for a while.  Isn’t that great news? 
      August 31, 2023 8:08 PM MDT

“Club”? Yeah, right! We all know that what you really mean is your gang! Wait a second, I attended your trial and your sentencing hearing, so what’s all this “re-forming” talk, when all of you are supposed to be languishing in prison? You don’t mean to tell me that you and your gang made parole, is that it? Or even worse, you’ve all escaped custody and are on the lam until you can plot your next caper! That’s it, I’m alerting the authorities right away! If they’re offering a reward, I’ll collect! I’ll sell my story for top dollar to all the gossip columns and drugstore tabloids! You’re going down, lady, you’re going to sink like a lead feather by the time I get through singing to the cops! And that goes for your little pack of dogs, too! Grrrrrrrrrrr. 

~

August 31, 2023 8:44 PM MDT

high-school kids

one-armed bandit

big-business owner

bus-stop sign This post was edited by Flint Ironstag at August 31, 2023 11:27 PM MDT
      August 31, 2023 10:55 PM MDT

If the purpose of the hyphen is to clarify the meaning, wouldn't every phrase containing a hyphenated word have a different meaning without the hyphen? 
      September 1, 2023 6:03 AM MDT

Such as?
      ~

September 2, 2023 8:19 AM MDT