Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » When they started building ships with steel they saved a lot of trees. Why not build houses with steel and save more trees?

When they started building ships with steel they saved a lot of trees. Why not build houses with steel and save more trees?

Posted - November 10, 2016

Responses

As long as it isn't Japanese steel.
      November 10, 2016 4:26 AM MST

Right. 
      November 10, 2016 5:19 AM MST

Ever hear of Lustron homes? They were houses built of steel in the 1950's. We have a handful of them here in Minneapolis.
      November 10, 2016 5:37 AM MST

Never heard of them. I was asking various people's opinions about steel frame and wall house ,  seems would be much more expensive than wood but more solid and durable .
    I'll look it up anyway. 
      November 11, 2016 12:46 AM MST

• There are steel houses.   They are sold as kits by numerous manufacturers.   They can be expensive to heat though.  The other issue to pay attention to is that certain problems can be hard to fix, but those kinds of issues take a long time of improper maintenance to arise.
      November 10, 2016 6:08 AM MST

Using trees is not worrisome.  We can plant more trees and more trees.  People are pretty much  on line with the concept.  Plastics are big problems.............things that do not rot away have filled up land fills.  The worst offenders are disposable diapers and plastic retail bags.  I think both should be outlawed.  I always ask for paper as the market and never used disposable diapers.........neither did my daughter.
      November 11, 2016 12:38 AM MST

Steel is not an easy product to insulate, it's very strong and heavy which would make building a home a lot more difficult..brickwork still remains the best method in most countries. 
      November 11, 2016 1:24 AM MST