Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Should virtual rape in an online simulation be illegal? Should the penalty be the same?

Should virtual rape in an online simulation be illegal? Should the penalty be the same?

https://www.theblaze.com/news/police-investigate-first-case-of-virtual-rape-after-girl-gets-attacked-by-group-of-men-in-metaverse?

Posted - January 3

Responses

In the first place, this girl was under 16 and her parents should be more aware of what sites she's on.  Second, Meta should be monitoring their site more carefully.  
      January 3, 2024 6:55 AM MST

I am not sure where I fall on this one.  Yes parents should know what their kids are doing online.  
    Facebook should not even have rapes or stabbings etc be possible in their "Metaverse."  Especially if they are selling a suit where you actually feel things. In their response is says default is there is a 3ft personal bubble...so it should not be possible from a 3ft bubble.... 
    I have no experience with Metaverse or other virtual environments. 
      January 3, 2024 11:09 AM MST

I agree that there should be no such thing in the Metaverse.  I don't have any experience with that either, but Meta should have a better way of preventing such things as virtual rape on any of its platforms.
      January 3, 2024 11:11 AM MST

How foolish of her. Swimming with sharks. The men should be virtually punished.
      January 3, 2024 10:55 AM MST

At bare minimum, they should be permibanned from FB. 
      January 3, 2024 11:10 AM MST

Let's not blame the under-sixteen-year-old who, apparently, has been left with the same psychological trauma as if it were real... It's our job to protect children better. 

But you've got a good idea for the men: virtual castrations. With the "Razer Hypersense" suits on.
      January 3, 2024 1:23 PM MST

I like this idea.
      January 3, 2024 2:39 PM MST