Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Why Even Breed Dangerous Animals? (Dogs)

Why Even Breed Dangerous Animals? (Dogs)

Scotland's devolved government has just announced laws to control the poorly-defined "American XL Bully" breed of dog, England having already done so (I am not sure about Wales and Northern Ireland).

This strain, I think still not defined and recognised by the Kennel Club, was bred to be dangerous by default. With the kindest care and training in the world, any dog can attack other animals including humans; usually unpredictably, but unlike most recognised breeds this is one is specifically aggressive and unstable. Individuals of it have already killed at least two people in England.

So it is now illegal to breed new ones, or to import, sell, give away or abandon existing ones. They have to be kept very securely, and must not be un-muzzled and unleashed in public. Predictably Scotland's wish to differ from England created a delay allowing it to become a re-homing destination for the creatures; as its own Parliament has acknowledged.

Just why are such animals bred? Obviously money for the breeders, if there is a market for them, but for what sort of owners?

Posted - January 11

Responses

I am not sure why the pit bull breed came into existence in the first place, but I agree that they can be extremely dangerous with minimal or no provocation.  There are people who own them that say they are as harmless and sweet as Labrador Retrievers, but I have not heard of a Lab attacking its owner and killing it.  Pit bulls are often used in dog fights although it is illegal here in the U.S.  Of course, that doesn't stop those who want to see them fight to the death.  Personally, I think it's beyond cruel to breed these dogs.  
      January 11, 2024 1:46 PM MST

My dog is an American Staffy and a pit bull is just a big AmStaff. She's the most affectionate pet I've ever had, although probably the least intelligent (seventy pounds is far too big to be a lap dog and she's never understood that). The last dog that bit me was a Sheltie. When I was working as a retrofitter, I used to make friends with Dobermans, Rotties etc which sometimes annoyed their owners as those dogs were not supposed to be friendly.
    ANY dog can turn nasty, and fighting pits are universally mistreated to turn them that way. They are heavily muscled which is why they are chosen to be exploited by depraved owners.
    The key is in training, proper veterinary care and being prepared to let go when it's time. A human being in constant pain can lash out at their nearest and dearest - I know because I've been there. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 20, 2024 6:40 PM MST
      January 11, 2024 4:15 PM MST

Oh yes, I have come across four-legged lumps of claws, teeth and muscle that act as big softies, and a lot does come down to the breeder and owner.

The problems come when dogs are bred deliberately to be dangerous, and I think some owners imagine there is some sort of kudos in owning such an animal. They won't if it turns on them.

A former neighbour used to own a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a large, powerful thing anyway. Theirs though did have something wrong with it. The wife could not go near it, and I think it even became a threat to the husband, and eventually they had to have it put down.

Up-date

Just after I posted my original question I heard on the News that the Scottish Parliament has decreed that the XL Bully can only be kept with a licence. Dog licences were abolished in the UK generally, years ago; although much more recently dogs, and cats, now have to be micro-chipped.

'''''''''

I have been told another side to the story, by a former work colleague. They had two pets; an Alsation dog, and an ex-tom cat. The cat's mind started to go and one day it went for the couple's baby son. Luckily the alsation was in the same room, realised what was happening and launched itself at the cat, knocking it flying, to protect the infant.  The cat escaped injury, but as it could so easily attack the baby again, the couple had it put down.
      January 13, 2024 2:11 PM MST

I do not think they are any meaner than any other dog.   But they are bigger and stronger than most other dogs.  So if they are provoked or if one is simply a more aggressive dog, they do more harm to whatever/whomever they bite.   
    Meanest dogs I have ever seen were the little Chihuahuas. But they were not big enough to really hurt anyone.  And no one mistreated them. 

I had a dog from a puppy. He looked like a mix of Ridgeback and Husky dogs.  He was just an aggressive dog. We eventually had him put down because people would not stay away from him. He bit 3 people  who came into his area. He ws never loose, we always kept him contained when outside.  But, we do not want the liability and would not have felt comfortable giving him to someone else and then he harming them or their kids. 

Animals are like people, and any of us can be violent not just a certain breed. 
      January 20, 2024 6:58 PM MST

That is so - any dog can attack if it wants although most don't, but some breeds are intended to be nasty.
      January 22, 2024 1:43 PM MST