Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » How would I solve this unexpected faulty ink cartridge from the printer?

How would I solve this unexpected faulty ink cartridge from the printer?

I printed-out a recipe which are just black letters, then it's not getting much black ink on the paper-it seems that it only printing lightly black on the paper, then I opened-up in the computer screen, typed in & clicked to where it shows the ink level, but I left the printed on & computer still hook to the printer when doing this, & it shows that the ink cartridge still has half more cartridge of black ink, so it shows that there's still some black ink(?)
Hope it's the right ink level that I just looked at, then what should I do with the black ink cartridge in the printer?

Don't know if the ink-contact of the cartridge got dried up, or what else might be the problem?

Posted - March 3

Responses

Try taking the cartridge out and running the ink part over a moist paper towel, then try it again.  The ink opening can dry out and a little moisture will bring it back to life. 

This post was edited by . at March 5, 2024 9:29 AM MST
      March 3, 2024 6:43 PM MST

Okay I will do that method soon!
      March 3, 2024 7:19 PM MST

The print head may need to be cleaned.  You will read that you can't clean it as well as find a few ways to do it.  I had a print head that dried out due to nonuse in a Canon printer many years back.  I bought new cartridges.  I soaked the print head in warm soapy  water a few hours then rinsed.  I let it dry 24 hours then put it back in the printer.  Added new ink cargridges. Turned on printer.  Perfect.  When I told my techy friend what I did he almost had a duck. 
      March 4, 2024 6:02 PM MST

I would not even know how to take the printer head out. 
      March 5, 2024 9:28 AM MST

Seems there was a little lever to push one way or the other and it just came out easily. I haven't owned an inkjet printer  in a long time.....at least 30 years.   
      March 5, 2024 1:50 PM MST

I have one. Plan to get a tank printer this summer. I hate cartridges.  
      March 5, 2024 2:58 PM MST

The ink cartridge is much more expensive-especially to replace new inks to it, is it?

March 5, 2024 7:16 PM MST

Yes very expensive. 
      March 5, 2024 7:26 PM MST

I'm a laser fan, myself.
      March 6, 2024 2:40 PM MST

I print a lot of images. I have always been told inkjet is best for that. So I've never owned a laser.
      March 7, 2024 5:56 AM MST

If you removed the cartridge at some point and put it back in, then the ink level might show as more full than it really is. Or, if you are using cartridges that are not made by the same manufacturer as the printer, the ink level might not be accurate. 
      March 4, 2024 8:08 PM MST

As Thrifty said, sounds like the printer head  needs cleaned.  Should be able to go through the settings and tell it to clean the printer nozzle head. You may have to do it several times. 
      March 5, 2024 9:28 AM MST

Does the Printer can really try to clean-up it's printing head itself-if you tell it to?
    How do You think it would do it?
      March 5, 2024 7:17 PM MST

I don't know how. Just that it does. 
      March 5, 2024 7:25 PM MST

And can you tell how much ink of each color the Canon ink cartridge contain in ounces?

And how much ink each of the ink bottle contains in ounces for the tank printer, & how much more ink the black ink bottle contains?

And I see the price by each ones-I would see that the 2 ink cartridges are for about $40, & see that you get 4 of these ink bottles for about $30 !
      March 16, 2024 7:03 AM MDT

When I cleaned my printer head with soap/water I had tried ad nauseam to clean it using the built in cleaner to no avail. 
      March 7, 2024 11:53 AM MST

I didn't seem to find any (handle) to open loose any printing head, I dampened the paper towel & wiped the ink cartridge bottom over it, & that didn't do anything. Then I tried the function buttons on the printer, & tried like self cleaning, not much better but just little better.
    And if all these would not work for me, then I would just post to you-what exactly the kind of printer, & kind of ink cartridge that I have, then send you the pictures of my printer & ink cartridges(opened), then would show you the insides of the printer that it have in it, to see what else you'll suggest me to try next, if that method you'll say to try will not work(?)
      March 17, 2024 10:36 AM MDT

I read through every owner's manual, & other booklets that I have with my printer, & I didn't really find anything in that to really resolves my printer's ink printing problem.
    And I will show you what other printer's function settings that it have on it(?)
    Can show me with the 'Printer Head' is, then I will check with that on mine too.
    And I would like help with this soon, can you?
      March 17, 2024 12:27 PM MDT

The printer head is the thing into which you insert your ink cartridges.  It will most likely have a lever or button to push to unlock it so that you can take it out of the printer.  Go to a store and ask a sales person to show this to you on a display printer similar to yours.
      March 19, 2024 11:20 AM MDT