Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Chief Ten Beers
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Is there a particular type of paint for interior use that doesn’t leave so much of that lingering smell?

Is there a particular type of paint for interior use that doesn’t leave so much of that lingering smell?

[~]

Posted - March 24

Responses

When shopping for paint look for paint that says is has LOW VOC.  VOC is the dyes in the paint that colors the paint. 

Glidden Premium and Glidden Diamond claim to be low VOC.  

I have never compared them to others the paint smell does not bother me. 
      March 24, 2024 6:09 PM MDT

I found a few things:

There are several types of interior paints that are designed to have low or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are the chemicals that cause that lingering paint smell. Here are some options to consider:

Low-VOC or Zero-VOC Paints: These paints are specifically formulated to minimize or eliminate VOCs, which significantly reduces odors. Examples include Benjamin Moore Natura, Behr Premium Plus Zero VOC, and Sherwin-Williams Harmony.

Milk Paint: Made from milk protein, lime, and natural pigments, milk paint is an eco-friendly and odor-free option for interior walls.

Clay-based Paints: These paints use natural clay as a base and have little to no odor. Brands like ROMABIO and BioShield offer clay-based interior paints.

Plant-based Paints: Paints made from plant-based oils, such as linseed or soybean oil, tend to have a much milder and less offensive odor than traditional paints.

Mineral-based Paints: Silicate-based mineral paints, like those from KEIM or Baumit, are virtually odorless and highly breathable. This post was edited by Zack at March 25, 2024 7:04 AM MDT
      March 25, 2024 7:00 AM MDT

My FIL spent his life in real estate investment and leasing.  I remember when I first knew him there was talk about offensive paint odor, but the subject paint was that with an oil base.  Pop said he added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to each gallon and tenants stopped complaining.  I'm not recommending that with latex paint or paint at all today.  I just never forgot it.  He also had a fix for bugs getting behind wallpaper to eat the dried paste but I can't think of that one at the moment.
      March 25, 2024 12:47 PM MDT

We paint a lot.  I think I may try that just to see if it changes the smell.  
      March 25, 2024 12:55 PM MDT

I'm not bothered by the smell after using latex paint.  The smell after using oil is bothersome.  I'm not familiar with all of those paint types Zack listed. 
      March 26, 2024 8:43 AM MDT

We use Behr Masony and Stucco paint.  It is water based.  The smell does bother me at all. But I am curious if it changes it. 

Then we use an concrete sealer that definitely has a strong smell most people do not like but even that I do not mind. 
      March 26, 2024 1:53 PM MDT

Modern water-based emulsion paints have little odour, though are for the walls and ceilings, not woodwork.
      April 12, 2024 1:55 PM MDT