Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you think Millennials will live to see aging-related diseases, and aging itself, get cured?

Do you think Millennials will live to see aging-related diseases, and aging itself, get cured?

I hope I get to live long enough to see clinical immortality become a reality so that I would never worry about becoming too worn out to work.

Could rejuvenating (and age-reverting) treatments ever come along so that we can revert ourselves and keep ourselves in the prime working condition (in the bodily condition of someone aged 18-25) indefinitely, in a Millennial's lifetime?

How are we coming along with fighting the aging process, and aging-related diseases?

What will nanobots do to help us keep feeling young and being as healthy as someone young?

What will the Technological Singularity do? How would it keep us in our young, prime condition?

Posted - April 9

Responses

So, basically, you want to know if science will make it possible for the aging process to stop by age 25 and you will thereafter live forever.  No and the reason I say this is because the Earth would become so over-populated that people would starve to death.  Diseases and natural disasters are nature's way of culling the population.  If you look back at the diseases that have been cured, others have taken their place. This post was edited by Spunky at April 11, 2024 6:56 AM MDT
      April 10, 2024 8:38 AM MDT

After discovering room-temperature superconductors that make floating cities possible, we could build endless vertical farms (greenhouse skyscrapers) in the sky.

We could also someday have hydroponics space structures to grow food in outer space.

We'll never run out of room and we'll not starve to death as long as we never run out of space in the sky and outer space to build new vertical farming.

I can't wait to see the Technological Singularity arrive when I'm 60.
      April 10, 2024 11:40 PM MDT

You didn't address the disease issue, I see.  Good luck to you.  Let me know how it works out.
      April 11, 2024 7:58 AM MDT

That would be nice...but only the wealthy would be able to afford it.
      April 10, 2024 10:57 AM MDT

People are already complaining that Boomers are waiting too long to retire which makes it harder to find certain jobs. If everybody lives forever, we would have massive unemployment. 

A lot has already been done that makes aging more comfortable, such as cataract removal and joint replacement. I think we can expect more advancements to keep us healthier longer, but I don't think we will ever find eternal youth, nor do we really want to.
      April 10, 2024 8:47 PM MDT

No.  Our physical bodies will age, deteriorate and die. 
      April 11, 2024 4:34 AM MDT

I imagine the reversal of ageing couldn't be applied to every part of us in the same way. So we're not just talking about one massive advancement, but the need to do so for brain, heart, skin, kidneys, liver, joints, arteries--anything. A pretty big task. Not to sound naïve, because I do think this is an interesting question, but I'd like to improve the longevity of our species by averting war. This post was edited by Danilo_G at April 11, 2024 7:58 AM MDT
      April 11, 2024 7:01 AM MDT