Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » How much do you think diet affects how you function? Other than weight or longevity, what are your dietary choices based on?

How much do you think diet affects how you function? Other than weight or longevity, what are your dietary choices based on?

Please note that this is not a political discussion and I am including this link because it got me thinking about whether diet really matters. These two senior citizens have demanding schedules and require lots of energy and stamina, but neither eats in a way that seems to support that based on conventional wisdom. I am looking for your views on your diet or diet in general, not on what you think about either person or what his diet says about him.

https://nypost.com/2024/07/18/us-news/i-ate-like-joe-biden-and-donald-trump-for-a-day-and-ill-never-do-it-again/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=referral

Posted - July 21

Responses

I believe it affects everything in your body.  From mental clarity, to sleep, to inflammation,  to immunity, to muscle tone, blood pressure,  etc.  Of course other things also affect our bodies but our diet is one of the most important factors.
      July 21, 2024 8:58 AM MDT

That's what I believe as well. But seeing how both candidates function while eating everything I avoid, made me second guess myself. 
      July 21, 2024 12:08 PM MDT

I think staying active makes a big difference as well.  

We were driving an hour to and from work for a bit and I could tell it was effecting my hips.  They did not like moving as much after sitting for an hour in the truck.  Of course it would loosen up after a bit. 
      July 21, 2024 1:48 PM MDT

Sorry, but my anti-virus software won't allow access to that link.
    However... every doctor and physical therapist I've been to have stressed that diet heavily influences how one functions.   
    A few examples -
    * Sugar aggravates joint inflammation (such as arthritis).
    * Excessive salt affects heart and vascular problems (which can lead to fatigue, a stroke or cause swollen limbs), as well as prostate problems (males).
    * Excessive fat intake (e.g. junk food) can cause mental fogginess and fatigue.
    * Lack of adequate protein intake reduces muscle mass (which gets harder to get back as one ages).

July 21, 2024 9:44 AM MDT

The link is to an article that says one candidate eats things like Special K, Gatorade, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and pasta - not much protein. The other one eats steak, fast food, chips and diet soda. I agree with all you said, but I am younger than either of them and eat none of those things and I have half the energy and stamina of either of them. I can't help but wonder if I can ease up a little. I did note the lack of vegetables for both of them, so maybe that's the key :)
      July 21, 2024 12:15 PM MDT

I have to agree with Shuhak on all of those things.  I have a-fib and slightly elevated blood pressure, so I have to be very careful about salt intake and pre-diabetes means I have to watch sugar intake as well.  IK have put on far too much weight and that in itself causes joint aches.  Having to climb up and down the step to get all the things in the tops of the clothes that I have to pack is brutal on my knees.  I am a stress eater and these past couple of months have been stressful with the move and all, but I'm hoping that once I get into my new bode, I will be more calm.
      July 21, 2024 10:56 AM MDT

I am just puzzled how these two candidates can eat diets that I consider inadequate and/or unhealthy but still have more energy and stamina than I do. They both have access to any food they want and the best medical advice and still eat things I haven't touched in years. 

I am the opposite of a stress eater. I'm thinking, I need to make my life more stressful so I can take off a few (well, more than a few) pounds.
      July 21, 2024 12:26 PM MDT

I'm not so sure that Trump is that healthy.  Just because he hasn't dropped dead yet doesn't men that he is.  As far as Biden, I don't recall hearing much about his diet although he is much slimmer than Trump.  

I wish stress made me want to eat let.  :)
      July 21, 2024 12:31 PM MDT

Hold on, you need more stress? I think I can help!

~

July 21, 2024 3:43 PM MDT

Thanks, but you've done enough already. 
      July 21, 2024 3:49 PM MDT

I just want to be able to contribute.
      ~

July 21, 2024 3:51 PM MDT

Maybe on eating healthy so I don’t feel sick or weak.
    Like from more of salad, fish, not so much of meat but some meat, &sometimes drink some water each day.
    Hope that answers much of your question!
      July 21, 2024 11:01 AM MDT

Sounds like a good plan!
      July 21, 2024 12:17 PM MDT

So I did it, did I? 
      July 21, 2024 12:20 PM MDT

I know that diet is an extremely important factor in how we function, whether it be good diet promoting better functioning or poor diet detracting from our functioning. Diet is one of the three pronged basic approaches; diet, exercise, rest. Not only is an improper balance in any one of them bad for us, improper cross-connected imbalances among the three can also be very bad for us.  

For instance, too much avocado, mayonnaise, or Vegemite . . .  ok, ok, ok, I’m just joking on that very last line, but everything else was serious.
      ~

July 21, 2024 3:50 PM MDT

That's what I thought. But I got confused about how older persons can have the energy to campaign, when one eats starchy foods washed down with Gatorade and one lives on diet coke and MacDonald's.
      July 21, 2024 5:16 PM MDT

Keep in mind that peoples varying metabolisms also come into play here, and the normal changes that take place as we age are additional factors in why you and those two men have different results regardless of diet. 

Elsewhere in this thread you have mentioned Joe’s physique and Don’s physique. Those are inherently natural to individual people, which further explains why yours isn’t similar to theirs even when considering dietary habits.
      ~

July 22, 2024 8:46 PM MDT

While it was not me that mentioned physique, I do understand metabolism is a factor for weight. However, I never realized that metabolism affected stamina and energy. That's good to know and I will be looking into it further. Thanks.
      July 22, 2024 9:33 PM MDT

Oops, my mistake on who had mentioned it, sorry!
      ~

July 23, 2024 7:42 AM MDT

My healthy diet is not a problem.  
      July 22, 2024 2:05 AM MDT