Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » What would even be the point of a virtual cemetery?

What would even be the point of a virtual cemetery?

:(

Posted - August 26

Responses

A place for all of the fake people to end up..........I hope it's huge.
      August 26, 2024 7:14 AM MDT

It would have to be huge to accommodate all those fakers.
      August 26, 2024 7:45 AM MDT

I'd like there to be a way for my digital friends to know I've passed away. Just no virtual tears, please.
      August 26, 2024 11:20 AM MDT

Legacy already has virtual memorials. It's kind of the same thing. It's a place where people can gather to share stories and memories about their loved ones. 

Roughly six months ago, I visited a virtual memorial for one of my high school friends. I don't know why I was thinking about him, but I was, and I wanted his mom to know his memory was still alive, so I left a message on his virtual memorial. I also read through all the memories shared. It was nice to remember him the way he was rather than feel the emptiness he left behind. 

My mom also recently passed. That is part of the "personal issues" that kept me away from the site for a bit. She didn't want a funeral or anything like one, and she was cremated, so there was no burial. However, she has a memorial page. It's nice to see others share their memories of her there. She had a whole life that I wasn't part of, even after her stroke. It's nice to see that she made connections and enjoyed life to some degree, especially because her final years were quite challenging. 

If the "cemetery" stands the test of time, it also helps with genealogy. For instance, I use the site Geni. I'm a big enough nerd that I've gathered all kinds of documentation about my ancestors and uploaded it there - ship records of them coming to the U.S., their addresses, pictures of their houses, their citizenship documentation, etc. From this research, I've learned a lot about who these people are and how they lived. Virtual cemeteries offer similar capabilities for sharing data. 
      August 26, 2024 2:10 PM MDT

I'm sorry about your mom. You do make a very compelling argument for memorial pages.
      August 26, 2024 2:24 PM MDT

First time I've heard about a virtual memorial, think it's a great idea. 
      August 26, 2024 4:16 PM MDT

Long ago I had an idea that for every grave stone, a video and narration could be available for each person.  So many people have passed on that left a legacy, too bad it died with them.  
    After watching Superman many years ago; the crystals that held information caused me to have that idea.  Technology is close to making that a reality.  What my relatives looked like and how their life was 200 years ago would be so interesting.  It's one reason I want my obituary to be lengthly, with lessons and encouragement for all who come after me. 

This post was edited by . at August 26, 2024 10:41 PM MDT
      August 26, 2024 4:08 PM MDT

To ensure that your loved one is "in the cloud".
      August 26, 2024 5:43 PM MDT