Active Now

Malizz
Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » All the fish just died in the tank, why is that? What should I do next time?

All the fish just died in the tank, why is that? What should I do next time?

Posted - August 29

Responses

The water is cloudy, perhaps  clean your filter more often.  Put a real plant in the tank that might help.  The water temperature is important; if the tank is in front of a window where the sun will heat it up, that's not good.  The same goes for being too cold.  The type of water needs to be right for the kind of fish you have and the ph levels need to be right as well.  

Check with a pet store and they can advise you on something you can put in the water and the type of food to feed them.  Harsh chemicals in the water can also kill them.  The fact your fish was turning black indicates a problem with the water. 

This post was edited by . at August 29, 2024 2:16 PM MDT
      August 29, 2024 8:15 AM MDT

Okay, then you may tell how to get the tank water clean, & then I will draw a picture of a really great-interesting fish tank! I don’t know if it would be a really large fish tank, but I will see if I can draw a very interesting one.
      August 29, 2024 2:51 PM MDT

Everything has to come out and be cleaned, including the filter, you may need a new one.  Check with the pet store regarding what to add to the water to make it safe.  It's been a long time since I had fish, when I did, it was a very big tank with many varieties of fish.  Don't remember all the steps to make it safe.  Plain tap water without an additive is a big no no, If I remember correctly. 

This post was edited by . at August 29, 2024 5:21 PM MDT
      August 29, 2024 3:50 PM MDT

Okay I get your information, I’m set to try it later
      August 29, 2024 5:03 PM MDT

This fish tank I bought was just 2 days, how often should I clean the water filter?
      August 30, 2024 7:36 AM MDT

Fish tank filter cleaning
    1. Hang-on filter: clean it once every few weeks or once a month.
    2. Sponge filter: clean the sponge once every two weeks.
    3. Canister filter: clean it once every a few months. ... 
    4. Under-gravel filter: clean it once every two weeks.
    5. Internal filter: clean it once every few weeks, but once a month at least.

August 30, 2024 7:53 AM MDT

I see that you really liked my pets, & then you helped with the fish that I have, really kind to my pets in overall!! 
      August 31, 2024 2:43 PM MDT

Yes, I like your pets, I love all animals, even the scary ones.  The other day I saw a video where a shark came to some divers and wanted them to follow him.  They did, when they went under water they found the shark led them to a whale who had fishing line wrapped around and through his mouth.  That's a first for me but it just shows the depth all animals have for each other.  Too bad humans aren't more like animals.   Animals feel ya, they know who you are without you having to say a word or do anything.  This post was edited by . at August 31, 2024 5:58 PM MDT
      August 31, 2024 3:16 PM MDT

Scary ones really? 

Really Good!

August 31, 2024 6:01 PM MDT

Yes.

This post was edited by . at September 1, 2024 5:25 AM MDT
      August 31, 2024 6:13 PM MDT

Get a cat.
      August 29, 2024 8:27 AM MDT

I do have a cat now, then I want a fish tank too.
      August 29, 2024 2:48 PM MDT

Most likely the water got messed up. 
    Small tanks are the hardest to keep correct.   

Make sure you do not have too many fish.
    Next time set it up and let the system run for about a month without any fish in it.  This will establish the god bacteria in the filter and gravel.  Keep your filter on. 

Add one or two fist to test the system. If they survive then you can add a few more.  Small tank you can't have lot of them. 

Do not use chemical cleaners to clean the tank. 

Do a partial water change every 1month (about 25%) 
    Do not add plain tap water.  You have to treat the water. (Supplies are at the pet store) It is also good to allow the water to sit a day as well before adding it.  

Do NOT overfeed this will also mess up the water balance and kill your fish. 

Also check the temp of the water too hot or too cold can kill fish as well.
      August 29, 2024 8:43 AM MDT

Okay I will follow that, will see which whole answer from the 2 is better, I see couple of your typings mess-up, but I probably can tell what those are that you mean!
    Do you think that’s probably the most important-the water-water condition-to leave set for a month/treat the water-leave it for a day?
      August 29, 2024 2:47 PM MDT

Yes setting it up and just letting the system run for a month with no fish is very important.  
    Then once up and going with fish do not over clean.  It will remove the good bacteria that clean the ammonia etc from the water.  So once a month do a 25% water change and refill with water that you let sit for a day and treated. 
      August 29, 2024 4:44 PM MDT

Okay Thank You My2Cents!
      August 29, 2024 4:58 PM MDT

You're welcome  and good luck.  
      August 29, 2024 6:04 PM MDT

Just let the water filter run for a month?
      August 31, 2024 5:59 PM MDT

Yes. 
      August 31, 2024 6:44 PM MDT

I don’t know how much longer than a month the water filter can last/work for-it it still working on running the water
      September 1, 2024 8:37 AM MDT