Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How do you feel about eliminating the filibuster in Congress?

How do you feel about eliminating the filibuster in Congress?

Harris is in favor of removing the filibuster.  

Posted - Wed at 5:04 AM

Responses

I think that in theory the filibuster is a good thing. When one party has a small majority, without the filibuster, they could pass legislation that half the country does not want. However, it means that the party with a small minority can block legislation that half the country wants. Keeping the debate going in good faith to achieve legislation that satisfies both sides, whether it be presenting a strong enough case to get votes, or agreeing to compromise, should be the goal of the filibuster. So, while it frustrates me at times that what I see as commonsense legislation is blocked, I think the filibuster should stay.
      September 25, 2024 8:19 AM MDT

We agree on something political....even for the same reasons.
      September 25, 2024 8:25 AM MDT

The key to this is using the filibuster in good faith, which is not always the case.
      September 25, 2024 8:50 AM MDT

Agreed. We need fewer extremists in Congress and more legislators who are actually working in the interests of the country.
      September 25, 2024 8:55 AM MDT

I was going to say we need more bipartisanship, but even when a bipartisan bill is introduced (like the border bill), it didn't get any traction.  Heaven forbid a problem gets solved or partially solved by someone other than Trump and they get credit for it.
      September 25, 2024 9:00 AM MDT

The border bill was essentially a Republican bill; Democrats gave up all the things they wanted included, like a path to citizenship, in order to secure the border. There was a time when moderates on both sides would routinely vote with the other party.  Now even the appearance of bipartisanship is political suicide. Congress is not just divided by policy, but also by race and ethnicity, geography and economic background. I have no clue how we can fix this.
      September 25, 2024 9:34 AM MDT

Clearly, you're more aware of what was in the bill than I.  Suffice it to say that compromise means giving some things up.  If the Dems gave up the citizenship portion in order to better secure the border and get the bill passed, that issue can be revisited at a later date.  What I oppose is adding something unrelated to a "must pass" bill.  If a bill can't stand on it's own, then it needs more negotiation.  I'm also disgusted with the number of bills that get sent to the Senate that never even get heard and voted upon.  It should be mandatory that every bill presented should be brought up for discussion and a vote.  

I agree with your comments about the divisions in this country and, like you, I don't know how to fix this.  Perhaps, one possibility is to have a better educated society.  It doesn't appear that civics is delved into very thoroughly in schools.  Students need to understand how their government works so they can make intelligent choices when they're able to vote.  Perhaps, if the general population was better educated, they wouldn't fall for all the ridiculous conspiracies that come about.  Only a moron would think, or believe, that if the sea levels rise, you'll have more beachfront property.
      September 25, 2024 11:35 AM MDT

When I heard the reasons they gave for not passing the bill, I did my research. I read the actual bill and the reasons did not hold water.

I am beginning to think that the polarization began to surface when ' news' became a for profit commodity. Corporate media chooses what to focus on / sensationalize based on what will get the most views.
      September 25, 2024 2:48 PM MDT

No the border bill was basically making the border open legally.  And locking future Presidents into their rules. 

September 25, 2024 3:30 PM MDT

I prefer to stay within the parameters of the original question: the filibuster. Bipartisanship is relevant, specifics of a bill are not. Thank you for understanding.
      September 26, 2024 5:23 AM MDT

Do you know Harris has recently stated she wants to remove the filibuster?
      September 26, 2024 7:09 AM MDT

Yes, she wants to carve out an exception, not to remove it entirely. I believe Trump is for removing it completely. 
      September 26, 2024 7:26 AM MDT

It's a keeper.
      September 25, 2024 7:29 PM MDT

I agree it is needed protection for the minority in our country.  
      September 26, 2024 7:11 AM MDT