Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should we implement campaign reform to keep the very wealthy and big corporations from having so much influence on government? Why and how?

Should we implement campaign reform to keep the very wealthy and big corporations from having so much influence on government? Why and how?

Posted - October 6

Responses

Good luck.  Those in the government ARE the wealthy (and to get more money they "partner" with corporations and other wealthy people.  
      October 6, 2024 6:11 PM MDT

Apply the same limitations to donation by corporations as is applied to individuals.  If I can only donate $2500 (I don't know what the actual limit is), then Starbucks can only donate $2500.  (Not $2500 per each employee)

But really there is no what to keep big money out of politics.  If they cannot give directly they will create PACs and that is their right under the constitution..
      October 7, 2024 7:14 AM MDT

If the Supreme Court can overturn Roe, they can overturn Citizens United. Or Congress can pass legislation. The interpretation of money equals free speech does not seem American to me. Thanks for your response. 
      October 7, 2024 7:49 AM MDT

I agree. 
    However,  I don't think the court needs to overturn anything.  The court ruled that corporations have the right to speech and to donate to political partie/candidates. 

And they should.   But the corporations should be under the same limits as any other individual person is under. 
    Congress should pass a law clarifying it. But it will never happen as too many depend on that money. Just as term limits for Congress will never pass either. 
      October 12, 2024 5:51 AM MDT

Corporations do have the same limits. That is why there are super PACs and why Citizens United needs to be overturned.

October 12, 2024 7:25 AM MDT

There is no limit to the Super PACs  this should be eliminated.  

(I think we may have common ground  here)
      October 12, 2024 7:58 AM MDT

I don't think corporations should be permitted to make campaign contributions at all.  
      October 7, 2024 7:36 AM MDT

When you realize that the will of the people is completely overridden by Big Money, it seems like common sense to limit campaign donations. But those who get elected as a result of those donations are unlikely to want to change the system. 
      October 7, 2024 7:52 AM MDT

And that is why it will never change.
      October 7, 2024 8:00 AM MDT