Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Education » Should schools be allowed to hide their curriculum from parents?

Should schools be allowed to hide their curriculum from parents?

Posted - October 8

Responses

No way. BUT...in my experience as a teacher...most parents don't care. Pity.
      October 8, 2024 6:50 PM MDT

That is a pity.   I think the COVID-19 online classes opened a lot of parents eyes to some of what is being taught. I know of I had school age children now, I would be home schooling. 
    There are some parents who do care.  There was a recent court ruling in Michigan.  The parents wanted to view the curriculum.   The school denied them.  Parents filed a FOIA request and it was denied.  The court sided with the school.  Claiming the resources where the teachers and not the schools so it was not subject to the freedom of information request.   Sad ruling.
      October 9, 2024 9:33 AM MDT

I would also home-school mine.
      October 9, 2024 12:39 PM MDT

When you home school your children, is there some standard that has to be met in order for them to be considered educated?  In school, there are curriculums, tests to measure the degree of learning, etc.  Do children who are home schooled have to take those tests?
      October 10, 2024 8:28 AM MDT

Still have to meet state requirements.
      October 10, 2024 7:39 PM MDT

So, if someone is home schooled, how is it determined that the student meets state requirements?
      October 11, 2024 8:04 AM MDT

When I was teaching, home-schooled students had to pass the state graduation exams. I don't know what the rules are now.
      October 11, 2024 3:08 PM MDT

That's what I thought otherwise they wouldn't know if the student knew the material.
      October 11, 2024 6:01 PM MDT

No, but colleges should absolutely reject students whose parents forbid them to learn.
      October 10, 2024 6:09 AM MDT

Well it just happened and the courts ruled with the school. 
      October 10, 2024 11:45 AM MDT

After seeing your question the other day, I looked up to see if a specific situation prompted your question.

From one of your threads, I see you were referring to a recent situation in Michigan, which is what I had seen.
    I only read a bit of the situation, and I may be wrong, but I think the school curriculums are, and have been, completely open to parents/guardians.
    In this case,  from what I understand, it was a parent wanting a teacher's complete class curriculum or something. Maybe?

I wonder if there  may be more details that are not reported. And maybe I got it wrong.

But, in general,  and in my experience, school curriculums are open to parents. And I agree.

EDIT: Just read more closely your reply in a thread- - yeah, what you wrote -- the article I read was something like that in my head. I'm not holding details so well lately.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 11, 2024 8:43 PM MDT
      October 10, 2024 3:55 PM MDT

Correct, somehow they ruled that the curriculum was not the school's but rather the teacher's and therefore not subject to the parents seeing the information.   

Personally, I think it should be given to the parents.  And all classes should have cameras in them live streaming the classes. And parents should be able to log on and listen in on any class their child is in attendance. It would stop a lot of things, improper materials being taught, teacher's acting/speaking inappropriately,  students behaving improperly (some parents might be surprised to see their child being the brat), etc. 
      October 11, 2024 8:51 PM MDT

I don't see major issues with that either.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 13, 2024 5:16 PM MDT
      October 13, 2024 4:36 PM MDT