Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » What makes you you?

What makes you you?

Are you the sum of all your memories, preferences, plans, thoughts, beliefs, feelings and actions?

Are you the same person you were as a child? Why?

Who are you if you forget who you are?

Who are you if nobody knows or recognises you?

Posted - July 4, 2016

Responses

I am a sum of all my past, my presence, and my wishes for the future. My past by all the good and all the struggles. I've taken along with me what can help me in the presence and in my future. Left behind the stuff that won't help me in any way. No regrets.

I'm not the same as I were as child. Basically I am though; only I'm a child that has grown up, has gathered experiences, who looks to add further experience as I move along each day, making the most out of my day and enjoying it as good as possible.

At periods I will become/be reflective. It's usually times where I need to digest and process things that went on, stuff I'm going through. This will still be me, just another side of me. A more silent and wondering me.

I will always be me, no matter how much people knows or recognises me. It's who I am.
      July 4, 2016 12:24 AM MDT

Hmmmmmm.

I am made up of my thoughts, my sense of humour, my ability to persevere, my tendency to be too hard on myself, my soft-heartedness. I am made up of all that, but most of all it was through experiences in life that enabled me to understand myself better. I think I was always all those things, but a mess.

I'm not the same person, yet a little bit of that girl is still me. I think those parts of me when I was a little girl just grew bigger and more defined. I was a quiet child - because I preferred to stay in my head and observe. I'm still that, but I learned to voice what I was thinking. I was painfully shy - I'm still a bit of that but I can smile and talk to strangers now, although maybe a little awkward. I think I still retained a little bit of my childish naïveté.

If I forget who I am, I think I'll still have that desire to stay positive, to always hope for the better. I think I'll still have my sense of humour.

well... People don't know or recognise me on here, so I'll be this person.
      July 4, 2016 7:38 AM MDT

• I am the sum of all my prejudices.

July 4, 2016 7:40 AM MDT

What makes me, me? LOL
    ...Here's the short version...
    The light within my soul gives me the opportunity for life. Karma from my actions throughout many lifetimes have both opened and closed doors through my egoic pursuit, shaping who I thought was me.
    ...the illusory shell that I had created disappeared after I was with my spiritual masters in India.
    ...what remained was the awareness
    Of Christ Consciousness (Shiva Loka) That was my real Self as the light of my Soul.
    ...LOL so what makes me, me?
    Awareness of the separation
      July 4, 2016 11:31 AM MDT

• I and I by and by. 

July 4, 2016 11:35 AM MDT

Didn't finish...
    Awareness of the apparent separation from the oneness of
    Life with the Ego is maybe what makes me me.
      July 4, 2016 11:42 AM MDT

• Do you feel you will dissolve into oneness with the godhead (Atman, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva) when you die?

Or do you expect many more incarnations?

Like, and thank you.

July 4, 2016 6:12 PM MDT

• I enjoyed your heartfelt and reflective response. :)

July 4, 2016 6:16 PM MDT

• I feel I know you a little better, and like the person you describe. :)

July 4, 2016 6:17 PM MDT

• How cryptic! I believe you are much more than that. :)

July 4, 2016 6:19 PM MDT

• That sounds Like a quote from somewhere, or like it ought to be.

July 4, 2016 6:20 PM MDT

• I wonder if this perception will change over a lifetime, and if so in what ways.

How challenging is it to live with this awareness?

How much does it make your life and relationships easier?

July 4, 2016 6:23 PM MDT

Thank you. :-)
      July 5, 2016 2:13 AM MDT

• You think Hart? I'm touched that you think that. I really am. Thank you.

July 6, 2016 12:16 PM MDT