Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » Is it not so much that with age comes wisdom but wisdom comes by learning at whatever rate or measure of time?

Is it not so much that with age comes wisdom but wisdom comes by learning at whatever rate or measure of time?

Posted - November 13, 2016

Responses

• Ability to learn is dependent on the will to take note and remember. Some people suppress or deny anything unpleasant, evade or mood alter, and so prevent themselves from learning. In this way, some people never grow wise.

Some kids are "wise" before their time because their circumstances have exposed them to a great deal of the dark side of human nature.

I believe wisdom is not just about knowledge but also the kind of understanding that motivates honesty, self-restraint, responsibility, empathy and kindness. These values can be taught to young kids, but there is no substitute for direct understanding. Real wisdom inevitably takes time. It is a continually unfolding task to discover one's own patterns and to develop insight and emotional maturity. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 13, 2016 2:36 PM MST
      November 13, 2016 2:13 PM MST

No.
      November 13, 2016 2:20 PM MST

• Well kinda.. but it is also true that if one is older this will increase the liklihood that one has learned many things, experienced many different things, seen things, been through things, understood that things are not necessarily black or white.. SO with age generally speaking does come wisdom..but only if you are willing to learn and have an open mind.. and some people sadly never learn so even if they reach a great age they are still erm unwise :P
      November 13, 2016 3:30 PM MST

• Sage

(with apologies to Shakespeare for imitation of his Sonnet 116)

Let me not in the carriage of false thought

Be carried far away. Sage is not sage

That travels book lost mazes ever fraught

Or runs the concepts lock'd in mental cage.

Rather; it is the sailing scrutiny,

That rides through storm-wracked seas and is not broken;

It is the map and compass, to a destiny

Of no fixed place, that lets the heart be woken.

Sage has not thyme's taste, though many savours pass

And each invokes a longing, or disgust.

Sage is time grown up and growing still in practise

Towards all that lives, the growth of love in trust.

And yet with all the errors I have made

I can never tell... whether I am sage.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 13, 2016 11:02 PM MST
      November 13, 2016 11:00 PM MST

That's a good observation.  Wisdom does.  It can arrive in an instant.  There are children in this world that are considered "old souls" for that very reason.  They seem to grasp ideas that take the normal person decades to appreciate.

Wisdom, I think, can be defined as an epiphany that carries truth from heart to mind. 
      November 13, 2016 11:09 PM MST

That's good.  It's not an all or nothing thing.  I never thought of it this way really. 
      November 13, 2016 11:25 PM MST

Hi Thrift, I am sure there are a ton of ways to describe wisdom and all would have a point. 
      November 13, 2016 11:45 PM MST

Wisdom is knowledge gained just after it was needed.
      November 13, 2016 11:58 PM MST

• a smart man learns by his mistakes  , a wise man learns by other peoples mistakes  . 
      November 14, 2016 12:01 AM MST