Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » When can/can't actors play a character and/or a historical figure that is a different race?

When can/can't actors play a character and/or a historical figure that is a different race?

#acting

Posted - November 19, 2016

Responses

Have you heard of the Broadway play "Hamilton"?
      November 19, 2016 1:44 PM MST

• Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes.
      November 19, 2016 1:51 PM MST

Anyone can play any character of any race or ethnicity of a theater performance, provided they obtain a copyright permission to do it. Sometimes, playwriters do not give permission, if they do not approve of the way it will be performed. After all, it is their intellectual property. Even schools have to obtain a copyright permission, plus pay a fee, their performances.
      November 19, 2016 1:52 PM MST

I doubt if Tom Hanks would play the character of Jackie Robinson.
      November 19, 2016 1:55 PM MST

A copyright is not always necessary in each and every instance of portrayals of other people.
    ~
      November 19, 2016 2:44 PM MST

Back in the 60's, actor James Whitmore played a black man in 'Black Like Me'. James is lilly -white by birth.
      November 19, 2016 2:06 PM MST

Er, um, the character he portrayed was a white man who posed as a black man to see if he would be treated differently by strangers, so Whitmore's role was 100% accurate, in terms of ethnicity.
    ~
      November 19, 2016 2:58 PM MST

( . . . who is a different race?)

That's interesting; it brings to mind the myriad of Caucasians who have portrayed Jesus Christ. 
    ~
      November 19, 2016 2:37 PM MST

• Yes. I'm not sure of the number of whites that played Jesus.
      November 19, 2016 2:49 PM MST

Jesus was a Surfer Dude....;-D....

http://www.alternet.org/dear-white-christian-america-jesus-wasnt-white-surfer-dude
      November 19, 2016 2:52 PM MST

I don't think there is a hard and fast answer to this question. A lot depends upon the nature of the work and the intentions of the people (producers/directors/etc.) casting the actors.

For example, the works of Shakespeare have become so widely distributed in Western/European culture the ethnicity of the characters is not strictly relevant. If Hamlet is played by a white actor, a black actor, or an Elcor actor, it doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, would you have Hulk Hogan star in The Stephen Hawking Story? How about Peter Dinklage in 20,000 Women: The Story of Wilt Chamberlain? Keanu Reeves in anything but "Bill & Ted" or "Speed"? At some point, the mismatch between actor and role is large enough to damage the credibility of the work.

The tricky borderline happens when the ethnicity of the characters being portrayed is germaine to the story being told. Arguably, only Danes should be cast for roles in Hamlet, but as I noted above, the nature of the work and the universal themes presented suggest the Danish-ness of the characters is not particularly important. On the other hand, in a production of Roots, the fact people of one ethnic background are the enslaved, while people of another background are the enslavers is highly central to the nature of the work. You might cast red-haired pale-skinned Irish people as the slave characters, but that's a fundamental change to the work. Maybe there's an artistic point to be made by doing so, but that makes the production a derivative work, not true to the original intent of the story.

I think the instances where this sort of thing causes the most uproar is when the artistic intent of the work DOES incorporate ethnic background as a significant part of the story, but that intent is ignored/subverted because of "box office" reasons.

Two works that come to mind recently are Aloha, where the majority status of Asian/Polynesian people in Hawaii is whitewashed away and a 1/4 Native Hawaiian-1/4 Chinese major character is portrayed by whiter-than-white actress Emma Stone, and the upcoming Ghost in the Shell, where Scarlett Johansson portrays an Asian character...because ScarJo is "box office" while Ming Na-Wen is not.

And, of course, the argument over this topic intersects with other issues about Mass Media Culture's obsession with youth and whiteness. If ScarJo plays the main role in Ghost in the Shell because she's already "box office", when does Ming Na-Wen get to play a role which brings her critical acclaim and name recognition, so that maybe Na-Wen is "box office" enough to portary Black Widow in the next Avengers reboot?

As with most topics this complex, the answer boils down to "it depends"...and the discussion starts from that point.

November 19, 2016 2:50 PM MST

• Well, Ghost in the Shell looks like Caucasion characters. Really not too sure about that one.

November 19, 2016 2:56 PM MST

The main character's name is Motoko Kusanagi and the story takes place in the fictional Japanese city of Niihama. Seems pretty Japanese to me.

Sure, you can argue that it takes place in a post-racial future, or that the main character has a cybernetic body, so she could have chosen to look like Scarlett Johannson (which, as a red-headed large-chested female work acquaintance of mine discovered, is quite the attention grabber in present-day Japan...;-D..). One could even argue that if the movie's writers had transferred the action to New San Bernadino, USA and completely de-Japanified the story, no one would raise a stink because it would be an obviously derivative work.

As I noted in my original answer, I think the main objections stem from Caucasian actors getting BOTH the "big box office" roles AND the smaller roles which would, at first glance, seem to naturally fit actors of other ethnicities. And this has been a problem for a LOOOOONG time in the movie/TV industries.

Consider West Side Story (1961). It's Romeo and Juliet, but with the Italian Montagues and Capulets replaced by the Euro-White Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks. Who gets to play Maria, the supposedly Puerto Rican female protagonist?  Is it the actually Puerto Rican actress Rita Moreno? No, she gets the subordinate role Anita, while lily-white Nataile Wood (birth name Natalia Zakharenko, born in San Francisco to Russian immigrant parents) gets to be Maria.

Whitewashing has been an endemic problem in Mass Media Culture for decades, so it's little wonder ethnic actors are still sensitive to perceived instances of it in modern times. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 19, 2016 3:20 PM MST
      November 19, 2016 3:19 PM MST

January 11.   And every other February 3.   Also do not ever try it on leap year.

Not funny. I know.  So, let's ask the smart people on Quora:     I think I want to join that site.  Stepper (RIP) said that it was for the smart people, so I want to join and see if they notice that I am not.  I fooled no one on here, maybe you guys are smarter than they are.

Is an actor playing a different race considered politically incorrect? What about voice acting?
    Joel Montgomery, Actor! Worked both onstage and backstage in various roles for many years

Then there was Robert Downey Jr.  Interjection by me Sharonna Nuka Towel

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Written 19 Oct 2014

Regarding political correctness, or the lack thereof... it's incredibly subjective. Depending on who you ask, you'll hear a lot of different answers: many people would say it's incredibly insensitive, and history generally supports this notion. Our entertainment industry is filled with examples of terrible demonstrations of racial stereotyping and outright mockery of races being perpetuated by Caucasian actors, for example.

Al Jolson is one of the most famous examples of this - he performed in blackface in the style of old minstrel shows, which made him incredibly famous - but it was also a terrible caricature of African Americans that was prevalent in American culture (and still is in many places). Blackface is not technically illegal today, but doing what Al Jolson did today would be career suicide in most cases without compelling reason to do so. Robert Downey, Jr. succeeded at doing this in Tropic Thunder without killing his career:

In fact, he was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in the film, despite some of the controversy it created. But as Robert Downey, Jr. explained in several different interviews explaining why he was hesitant to take the role in the first place, it was successful for several reasons: 1) It was lampooning Hollywood and the extremes to which method actors go to get into a role, and 2) It was done as "tastefully" as blackface can be done - in fact, one of the real black actors consistently calls Kirk Lazarus (RDJ's character) on his BS portrayal of a black person.

Interestingly enough, since you ask about voice-over work, you'd be amazed at how much voice-over work, especially today, is about as close to being "racially blind" as any industry could be. I'd highly recommend seeing the documentary I Know That Voice (2013). John DiMaggio (best known as the voice of Bender in Futurama) is actually mentioned by some of his co-actors as the "blackest white man they know" because of his ability to perform black characters so convincingly. In voice-over work, you'd be amazed at how many of the voices in things that you have heard are completely opposite of what you'd think the voice actor would look like.

What it comes down to is that, like all performance art forms, it's entirely subjective. If an actor does something tastefully and for a valid artistic purpose, things like playing another race entirely can be perfectly acceptable. But 90% of the time, you'll find that any attempt to play race differently usually ends up a gross caricaturization of racial stereotypes that does more harm than good.

317 Views · View Upvotes This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 19, 2016 3:20 PM MST
      November 19, 2016 3:12 PM MST

Re: John DiMaggio (best known as the voice of Bender in Futurama) is actually mentioned by some of his co-actors as the "blackest white man they know"

The opposite can also be true. As a video game fan, I often look up who the voice actors are who portray characters in the game I like. While I wouldn't call it common, it DOES happen that video game characters most people would regard as "white" are voiced by African-American voice actors.

Check out the work of Kimberly Brooks:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1456471/

Also check out Key & Peele's discussion of this phenomenon...;-D...

This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 19, 2016 3:41 PM MST
      November 19, 2016 3:27 PM MST

Old, some of this may not make a lot of sense since I wrote it before you answered fully.  I never knew that guy from Futurama was black.  That is surprising , yes.   Also I just saw Key and Peele.  I love that show. Don't see it often enough, but I know these guys are on top of everything to do with social commentary especially regarding black and white people's behaviors. 

So, regarding watching the video you suggested:  Okay, that sounds like fun.  I will.   I remember that video you sent me of that interview with black people, weren't they conducting interviews or something to play black people a certain way?  It was funny.  I remember that.

When I see a movie at the show (not often any more) but when I did and when I see one at home I rented, I HAVE to read all the credits.  I was always like that even as a kid.  I was compelled to know everything about how it was done and who was in it.

So, I think I get your interest in studying  video games and voice, because the voice may be familiar and compels you to guess who it is or find out  who if you don't.  I am very good with that.  Hearing voice and recognizing it.  Any  smell also.  I am good at remembering color without having a sample of it.   If I see it again I can match it from my mind.  I can do that.   And taste.  I can always remember exactly what something tastes like. That is why I don't crave meat as much because I remember exactly how it tastes. 

But I cannot see directions.  A different part of the brain I guess. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 19, 2016 3:44 PM MST
      November 19, 2016 3:40 PM MST

To be historically accurate methink never. Why would you want misrepresentation unless there be a shortage of actors and you must make do. This post was edited by O-uknow at November 19, 2016 3:31 PM MST
      November 19, 2016 3:30 PM MST

When the filmmaker says so.  But it happens all the time.
      November 19, 2016 7:32 PM MST