Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What is more important to you...

What is more important to you...

...a lot of questions to reply on but no further interaction (no responses on the replies/comments made inside the threads)...or fewer questions but a lot of replies, comments and interactions around the subject (serious/fun/silly/etc)?!

Me: I like the latter. The former leaves me demotivated to engage with those asking the questions. Had to share and curious how others look at it. Hmm.

Posted - July 5, 2016

Responses

Are those two options the only ones from which we can choose?

If I may stray from them, I prefer lots of questions with lots of answers. If I can only choose from your examples, I agree with you; the second one is better.

~
      July 5, 2016 5:53 AM MDT

They are somewhat their opposites. As you so correctly show yourself there will be an in between too. In my opinion we have lately seen a trend towards the former, even from those who usually were always replying or acknowledging replies on their questions. It makes a less active and attractive Q&A board in my opinion, but I might be wrong. To me it's never been a question about quantity but more the quality in interaction. Your wish would allow it to be easier for everyone to find a subject of their interest. Like said, I was curious around this subject. Thanks showing the interest replying on my question, and you are truly one of those who will understand on how to keep an interaction going via the Q&A. Thank you one more time.
      July 5, 2016 6:00 AM MDT

Thank you also, my friend. It's a very thought-provoking question, and it will be interesting to see the answers and comments it gets.

As far as quality over quantity, I see your point. I wonder how it plays out with purposefully silly questions (as many of mine are), and with silly answers to serious questions (as some of mine are).

~
      July 5, 2016 6:09 AM MDT

See, there should be room for all. Quality in my point of view isn't about seriousness alone. Fun or silly questions can be quality too. What makes no quality in my opinion is a series of questions asked where people spend their time replying on them but the OP not making any acknowledging or replies to those who spend their time replying their questions. That's quantity with no quality at all in my opinion. But I might look differently on this than majority.
      July 5, 2016 6:23 AM MDT

Those are good points, thanks.
    ~
      July 5, 2016 6:26 AM MDT

Thank you.
      July 5, 2016 6:28 AM MDT

• Fewer questions...

July 5, 2016 6:33 AM MDT

I am in line with you. I find the interaction more important than quantity in questions. Thank you. :-)
      July 5, 2016 6:54 AM MDT

• I've always seen the questions as the start of a dialogue ... not a monologue... so yes, comments back and forth ... it can be quite entertaining

July 5, 2016 7:07 AM MDT

Uh... If they're about huggies I can go on forever. ?;w;? 

July 5, 2016 7:10 AM MDT

Me too. That's why I get demotivated replying questions to anyone who shows very little passion in replying back. Unfortunately the number of those seems to me to have become larger during the last period. :-/
      July 5, 2016 7:20 AM MDT

You've always been able, even when no huggies were close. You're teddy bear after all. :-)
      July 5, 2016 7:21 AM MDT

You know it, hearty. *insert huggy bear* 

July 5, 2016 7:25 AM MDT

On a Q&A website, it depends entirely on the question and intent of the one asking it. The influx of new questions combined with the "fire and forget" nature of this format makes it harder to have a decent chains of commentary with a good amount of shared information for longer than a few minutes.

I tend to prefer regular forums when it comes to long lasting conversations and sharing of ideas.

July 5, 2016 7:25 AM MDT

You've always been a huge teddy bear. ;-)
      July 5, 2016 7:57 AM MDT

It is about the intent of the one asking. It's their questions. I on the other hand am free to feel about their intents as I perceive them, and to evaluate if I feel like spending my time on replying their questions. There will be some around here, who actually do master to have a decent chain of commentary, either fun or good amount of shared information. To me, it's what makes a Q&A board living. But that will be my personal view on it. Thanks taking part, sharing your thoughts on the subject. :-)
      July 5, 2016 8:01 AM MDT