Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » SUCCESS! We spent the entire day with the STAUNCH CONSERVATIVE in our family and no one brought up politics! No one! Can you believe it?

SUCCESS! We spent the entire day with the STAUNCH CONSERVATIVE in our family and no one brought up politics! No one! Can you believe it?

We had a lovely day. We had not discussed not discussing  politics in advance. It just never came up. Were you all lucky too or did things get a bit testy? Not talking about our political differences made for a very splendid holiday. Hope yours was splendid too!  Imagine that?  How happy we were together by simply stifling it! Imagine that?

Posted - November 25, 2016

Responses

My Obama voters were all Trump voters so we had no issues this year. We got to discuss who we were all called racist, sexist etc. They are avid Facebook users and had to quit following or defriend people on there. Because of the name calling. 
      November 25, 2016 6:20 AM MST

So you spent your Thanksgiving day talking politics because you all agree and you focused on commiserating with one another about the negative aspects that you have suffered through unfairly?  You couldn't even take a break for one day m2c?  Did you all feel much better having done that or did you all get angrier?  Either way it's none of my business. Thank you for your reply.
      November 25, 2016 7:20 AM MST

No that is not how we spent the whole day but the topic did come up. And we did not become angry. Or feel better it was simply discussed as the news was no the TV.
      November 25, 2016 8:56 AM MST

• My family never talks politics, we have more going on in our lives than that. Most of my family isn't very political oriented to begin with, the ones who are, respect the others too much to start any crap about anything. 
      November 25, 2016 8:32 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Karen and Happy Saturday! Well when it's only the Liberals we talk politics all the time. No one gets abusive or insulting or vulgar or hostile or irate or cantankerous or self-righteous or officious or obnoxious. Different strokes. I guess we're a very political family. Our friends too  are very political. We only have the one Conservative among us and we avoided the bombs on Thanksgiving.
      November 26, 2016 2:33 AM MST

• Like I said, we don't talk politics at all in my family. We talk about life in general, work, kids, grand-kids (for those who have them), some current events--but not politics. I did ask two of my sisters who they voted for, they told me and it was left at that. This was on election day, not the holiday. None of us vote party, we vote for whoever we hate the least, or whoever we think will do the better job. I think it's nice being in a family of non-party voters, we avoid a lot of conflict that way. Democrats are going to say the Republicans are to blame for everything, and the Republicans are going to say the Democrats are to blame, it's just craziness. To be quite honest, my step-brother served two terms as Councilman at Large, I don't even know which party he was affiliated with.
    Happy Saturday!! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2016 11:59 AM MST
      November 26, 2016 9:31 AM MST

Thank you Kar en! :)
      November 26, 2016 11:59 AM MST

Well OF COURSE not. 

That is an atomic bomb waiting to go off around turkey time.  My closest friend thinks Trump is God-incarnate.  Can you imagine?  We tried a few times to talk about it and she is just as offended at me as I am at her.

I just told her I like her more than I loathe Trump so let's NEVER bring it up again. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 26, 2016 2:46 AM MST
      November 25, 2016 8:52 AM MST

My sister has a life-long best friend who is as strong a Conservative as my sis is a Liberal. Sis told me they "had the talk" and they will never again discuss politics. Her best friend lives in Montana so it is an email/telephone interaction. Face-to-face would be harder probably. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      November 26, 2016 2:35 AM MST

We are much more into sports at this time of year.  We watched football and ate too much.  No, politics didn't even come up.  
      November 25, 2016 1:38 PM MST

Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      November 26, 2016 2:35 AM MST

Oh, where's the fun in that?...;-D....

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/avoiding-family-conflict-during-the-holiday-season-37678
      November 25, 2016 1:41 PM MST

Well Gary is the STAUNCH REPUBLICAN OS which I think you know. It wasn't that I consciously avoided it. It never came up which is the best way to avoid it! I didn't even think of  it  and I guess he didn't either. I'm not sure what political position Rosa has. Better not to ask. Mahalo for your reply and the link and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 26, 2016 2:37 AM MST

@RosieG -- I was mostly joking. I think it's great all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and the tensions from the current political situation didn't interfere with that.
      November 26, 2016 12:19 PM MST

My family members hardly ever discuss politics at the dinner table except my Uncle Bob.  Religion and politics are his two favorite things so every Thanksgiving at his house he starts with a prayer and then turns it into a lengthy political lecture *tries not to roll eyes*.

Thanksgiving dinner at my house was just my husband and me so politics never came up.
      November 25, 2016 2:10 PM MST

Jim and I discuss it all the time but we're both Liberals so we NEVER ARGUE about politics. We rarely ever argue about anything in fact. Once in awhile we have a "meaningful" discussion to air our differences but not that often. Our family and friends are politically oriented. We just have this one well-loved family member who is a STAUNCH CONSERVATIVE. It's funny though. I was really worried about it and I asked Jim if I should emal his son and ask that we avoid politics and Jim said I shouldn't even bring it up! Smart guy. I worried needlessly. It was never a problem!  We often  listen to the news and he'll hear something or I'll hear something and we share it and then we say things like "can you believe it?" and we're off and running. I can't see how I could be married to a Conservative though. I know some couples make it work. I would not  be able to so luckily I don't have to! Thank you for your reply Liv  and Happy Saturday! So you had a nice, quiet, peaceful Thanksgiving? Great.  :)
      November 26, 2016 2:44 AM MST

My husband and I discuss politics but we're both neither liberal nor conservative (Conservatives think we're liberals and liberals think we're conservatives) but we pretty much agree on the most important things.  There are issues we disagree about but the ones we disagree about aren't that important to either of us.

I don't know how couples would make a conservative liberal union work either but both my husband and I are staunch conflict haters but I guess lots of people thrive on conflict.
      November 26, 2016 6:49 AM MST

Jim and I are the same as you and your husband m'dear. We are really in tune with each other on most everything. Where there is conflict it is never significant are too lengthy. We talk things out and come to a decision. It's nice to not have to deal with negativity at home. Home is where you should be able to relax, rest, be at peace. It shouldn't be a war zone and I think in some homes it is Livvie. Neither Jim nor I could live like that!  :)
      November 26, 2016 7:10 AM MST

Wow!  Good for you.
      November 25, 2016 8:13 PM MST

It was pure luck MaCC. I worried about it in advance but there was no need! I'm so relieved! Thank you for your reply an d Happy Saturday! :)
      November 26, 2016 2:45 AM MST