Discussion » Questions » History » Did America invent Liberty, Freedom, and Democracy and then exported it to the rest of the world?

Did America invent Liberty, Freedom, and Democracy and then exported it to the rest of the world?

I've actually heard this many times, mostly from the young people I deal with.
Why do  Americans think they invented everything that matters?
Or, did they?

Posted - November 25, 2016

Responses

• I rest my case.
      November 25, 2016 12:29 PM MST

• XD.....  What do you think?  I think someone might have taken it seriously. 
      November 25, 2016 12:37 PM MST

• You were right!
    Sarcasm is not clear when executed correctly,  ).
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 25, 2016 12:46 PM MST
      November 25, 2016 12:44 PM MST

• A search online says the ancient Greeks invented democracy... 
      November 25, 2016 3:32 PM MST

• It was created by the Athenians to be exact and was based on the notion that citizens must be able to own slaves for it to work.
      November 25, 2016 3:35 PM MST

• well yes i was reading that the concept was invented by Greeks, aka people lump Athenians in there....but that at that stage things were far from our idea of democracy....I'd say Brits have had democracy for ages but was reading it's more like ogliocracy anyway :P
      November 25, 2016 3:51 PM MST

• A Parliament is not democracy.   it has democratic elements, but that doesn't make it a democracy.   Not to mention y'all don't even elect your PM.   How is that any  more democratic than what we have?

People confuse democracy as a synonym for egalitarian and equality, it isn't.  It's majority rule, that's all it is.  Democracy and democratic are not the same either.   No true democracies exist today.
      November 25, 2016 4:10 PM MST

• Of course ADay... 
    And even tho the.question is meant to be humorous, there really is a lot of people who do believe that the United States is somehow exempt from the rest of the world's history.  We truly believe that America is morally and practically better, that our people are better, smarter, that our system is better. That we are above the rest of the world's mundane ways, atrocities and injustices. Because, and only because we are Americans. 
    And even though with my head I know that's a ridiculous notion, with my heart id be ready to pounce on anybody who'd dare to dispute our place of betterness. Isn't that weird?
      November 25, 2016 6:35 PM MST

• Well at least you are honest and can see the illogic.. so you are forgiven for having that pride and natural inclination to defend America x
      November 26, 2016 3:52 AM MST
  • Bez

Did Americans actually invent those things, or was it the French? I've never been 100% sure about that.
      November 25, 2016 6:26 PM MST

• Nobody really invented those concepts. That would be like saying Americans invented civil rights because they brought them into law. Ideas on Democracy, and individual freedoms and duties have been evolving even from before Platos Republic. 
    In relation to the French Revolution. . .it is credited with bringing themes like equality of all before the law, and freedom of thought and religion to the world's forefront. 
    So if we are going to credit someone for the invention of those concepts, maybe it should rightfully be the French. 
    Good point Andy.
      November 25, 2016 8:42 PM MST

• Well as a Brit i am sure it was WE who invented it..oh and everything else for that matter 
      November 26, 2016 3:53 AM MST

• Well one thing you guys invented, the glorious meat pie.
    A weird marrying of pastry and meat. Beef stuffed cake. .
    Or something. )
      November 26, 2016 8:05 AM MST

• Grrr.
      November 26, 2016 9:59 AM MST

• )
      November 26, 2016 10:11 AM MST

The pilgrims came here to find religious freedom and the American revolution was fought to "free" us from taxation without representation by the English.  Other countries have freed themselves from monarchies and other forms of oppression, in that way most countries have their own brand freedom we certainly did NOT invent it.
      November 25, 2016 6:37 PM MST

• Ask any non American and they will say America invented everything ... And they'll have a rather funny smile on their face as they say it ..
      November 25, 2016 9:57 PM MST

• Of course, and you invented inventing too. )
      November 25, 2016 10:41 PM MST

• Like all counties. .. We have contributed :)
      November 25, 2016 11:27 PM MST

• We contributed Thomas Paine )
      November 26, 2016 7:00 AM MST

• Who's that?
      November 26, 2016 8:08 AM MST

• Ah, that was my cunning rebuttal of your question.
      November 26, 2016 9:58 AM MST

• And that was my oblique reference to how some times we have somewhat strong opinions and words without the being informed part.
    Also, I tried to come up with something clever to rebuke your rebuking, but couldn't.
    That was a very good and subtle answer.
    Good answer dear Lucia. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2016 10:29 AM MST
      November 26, 2016 10:24 AM MST

• We to the best of my knowledge. .. Have not contributed as such in philosophy or the humanities .... bit et have punched above weight in many areas ... dme an aircraft navigation aids used today is Australian. .. and just recently. . The discovery of certain bacteria that is the cause of stomach ulcers ... We're not the best. .. But er do okay :)
      November 26, 2016 8:25 AM MST

• http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-inventions

I
     was just reading on Australian inventions. It's actually very interesting.
      November 26, 2016 9:39 AM MST