Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » History » Did America invent Liberty, Freedom, and Democracy and then exported it to the rest of the world?

Did America invent Liberty, Freedom, and Democracy and then exported it to the rest of the world?

I've actually heard this many times, mostly from the young people I deal with.
Why do  Americans think they invented everything that matters?
Or, did they?

Posted - November 25, 2016

Responses

America invented nothing.  It is a child compared to other countries.  It has a lot to answer for, action-wise and has no business bragging about any accomplishments considering the blood bath needed to accomplish "life, liberty" and chasing after the ethereal happiness jargon is total propaganda. America didn't even invent propaganda either, but they sure learned how to capitalize on that attribute.
      November 25, 2016 11:44 AM MST

• But, why Sharonna?
    Why do you think we feel that way? Is it an American thing? Or a human thing?
    Do you think the Russians feel the same way about Russia?
    Also, you say America didn't invent anything, what about ... .peanut butter?
      November 25, 2016 11:49 AM MST

Yeah, I pretty much do.  We as human beings tend to slide into whatever thought processes are most convenient and are allowed to pass the tribe's approval.

We have a tribe right now that is drenched in lazy and petulant and emotionally retarded.  We are devolving as a species and it is most apparent in this land of TOO much excess in the wrong places.  The rich get richer and the poor pay for it.  In spades.

So, I'm sure there are civilizations that are much more aware of the value of mankind and man's role on this planet; it just is not in the WEST anywhere I can fathom.

The East seems to have somewhat of a better handle on the glory of man and the need to be united and not divided.  Compared to what we can achieve in unity, what we gain from division and hate is a pathetic exchange. 

http://www.srisathyasaibookcentre.org.uk/images/Baba21May06/mandir11.jpg This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2016 5:22 PM MST
      November 25, 2016 11:52 AM MST

• So, are you saying the Chinese invented everything?
    (I understand your point Sharonna)
      November 25, 2016 12:42 PM MST

I can promise you they are not the most ancient civilization.

It began at the inception when Eve tempted Adam probably.  And once there was a rest of the world, they tried to be Democratic, and you saw where that led.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2016 12:47 PM MST
      November 25, 2016 12:44 PM MST

Peanut butter was first patented by a Canadian named M. Edson.
      November 25, 2016 12:33 PM MST

• Oh damn!
    Ok,
    Apple pie then.
      November 25, 2016 12:40 PM MST

• Probably a Brit  we've had apples for centuries 
      November 25, 2016 3:26 PM MST

• I'm pretty sure we invented Apple's tho. 
    Ever heard of a guy called Johnny Appleseed?
    He invented them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2016 7:05 AM MST
      November 25, 2016 6:19 PM MST

You're pretty sure you invented Apple's what?
      November 25, 2016 6:27 PM MST

• I just looked that up.
      November 26, 2016 7:03 AM MST

• And? 
    Did you learn about Johnny?
      November 26, 2016 8:29 AM MST

• LOL unlikely Americans invented apples... they grow wild here.. we may have had varieties introduced from europe but i think you have to look at where they grow wild to look for origin.  perhaps Johnny Appleseed brought the seeds over from the UK :P
      November 26, 2016 7:36 AM MST

• Well, (and I just looked this up, which in a way is a sad proposition for a Saturday morning, but anyway) looks like when the English showed up here with their teas and Beatles records,  they found trees of crab apples already here. They are the only native apples in North America. 
    So I stand by our inventing the Apple, or at least some of them.
    Plus they go well with the flag.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2016 9:05 AM MST
      November 26, 2016 8:59 AM MST

Eve made apple pie to share with Adam but it still had the same effect. 
      November 25, 2016 4:57 PM MST

The reason you hear many ignorant Americans spew such nonsense is because they are ignorant. The way America teaches its children history is basically indoctrination by "America is Good and Great" propaganda. Typically, it isn't until college-level courses that Americans learn some of the ugly details of their past (or how America's history fits in with the history of the rest of the world).
      November 25, 2016 12:02 PM MST

•   November 25, 2016 12:07 PM MST

• Do you not think it's the same everywhere? 
    Im sure the History of WW2 and it's heroes sounds a little different coming from the Japanese?
    Do you not think that every country does the same with the History they teach their young?
    I agree with one thing, School, it was not until way past college when I realised that America's History was not really the way I'd  even taught. No kidding!
      November 25, 2016 12:24 PM MST

@Lago --  I don't know enough about history education outside of the United States to speak with any authority on it. My "gut feeling" is many countries do a better job of being more honest about their history.
      November 25, 2016 12:28 PM MST

• Hm, something to look into.
    Thank you School.
      November 25, 2016 12:31 PM MST

• And sadly not all Americans go to college? Hmm so many miss out :( well that would explain it
      November 25, 2016 3:27 PM MST

• America created  everything except communism, Obama's birth certificate, and fascism.
    America Meme Related Keywords & Suggestions - America Meme Long Tail ...
      November 25, 2016 12:14 PM MST

• Don't know if you're being sarcastic or serious?
      November 25, 2016 12:19 PM MST

• I figured the image macro made it fairly clear.  Then again sarcasm isn't supposed to clear when executed  correctly.
      November 25, 2016 12:21 PM MST