Discussion » Questions » Family » Are mothers who mention !chicks! to their kids a little off?

Are mothers who mention !chicks! to their kids a little off?

I mean it is a little like commodisizing them.

Posted - November 27, 2016

Responses

Chic is a French word meaning stylish. In Spanish it has feminine and masculine forms, chica and chico, and it still means stylish. In English "stylish" only applies to interior decorating, so the French word gets replaced by the nearest English pronunciation, "chick" or "chickie", and of course a grown chick is a bird. Which is strange because the male member is also called a bird, as is the middle finger. Nobody ever said this stuff has to make sense, so there it is.
      November 27, 2016 5:32 AM MST

• I love it! Life makes no sense!!uncle
      November 27, 2016 5:38 AM MST

• I really have a hard time believing the slang term chick for a girl has any relation to the French word Chic.
    I would guess it's just the diminutive of an early slang term for girls and women  " bird".

Chico and chica don't have any relation to being stylish.   They mean small and young. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 27, 2016 8:43 AM MST
      November 27, 2016 8:41 AM MST

I hate hearing girls/women called chicks, broad, babes, etc.  Using that slang in reference to me would get a negative reaction.
      November 27, 2016 11:03 AM MST