Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Did you know that Cuba is 50% arable land that is not being used?

Did you know that Cuba is 50% arable land that is not being used?

Why?

Posted - November 29, 2016

Responses

They were saving that land for golf courses in case Trump ever wanted to build there. I don't think Fidel liked golf.
      November 29, 2016 1:08 PM MST

While I was unable to find confirmation of your figure (which sounds like the sort of "statistic" some ideologically-motivated person might pull from his or her hindquarters), perhaps you will find this article useful in understanding the challenges Cuban agriculture faces.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/future_tense/2012/04/agro_ecology_lessons_from_cuba_on_agriculture_food_and_climate_change_.html
      November 29, 2016 1:22 PM MST

• Hmm ..a professional expert on the radio being interviewed on WGBH said just my question and its valid because Cuba have no means of sustenance except what they are giving and they are desperately poor. That's what so don't go calling me an ideologically bent idiot! Its a concerning question to me!
      November 29, 2016 1:35 PM MST

@CW -- In the future, may I suggest you indicate a source? Saying "I heard on NPR..." or "I read in the newspaper..." is a signal the assertion is possibly disputable, and your curiosity about the question is genuine.

We live in a time when people will spout the most fatuous nonsense as though it were empirically-verified fact, so it's not always clear if people have a reality-based or ideological basis for their assertions.
      November 29, 2016 1:44 PM MST

• I know man but I'm trying to escape the world of argumentative bastards I grew up so have sympathy with me. You may as well be smarter than me OS and I don't have a problem with that. I must elaborate my questions your right. Good one. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 29, 2016 2:03 PM MST
      November 29, 2016 1:55 PM MST

Cosmic:

Cuba
    agricultural land: 60.3%...... arable land 33.8%; permanent crops 3.6%; permanent pasture 22.9%
    forest: 27.3%
    other: 12.4% (2011 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/cu.html

T
    here are a few here best to ignore; OldSchool is one of them. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 1, 2016 1:07 PM MST
      November 30, 2016 2:40 PM MST

I love answers with numbers.
      December 1, 2016 1:09 PM MST

I don't know if you are making fun of me for looking it up or not.  I know I'm kind of nerdy like that.  :)
      December 1, 2016 6:19 PM MST

• I always wonder and feel a creeping sense of scepticism whenever the word professional expert used.. professional in what.. .in Cuba? in their society and the people? Professional in farming? Yes but they just cannot really know about the situation there..
      November 29, 2016 3:41 PM MST

• Well I'd stand back and question that.. how do we KNOW it's arable land.. not all land that appears to be empty IS capable of being farmed... we have tons of open land in the UK not all of it should be farmed... we value it as natural land...  Maybe it's poisoned, maybe people dont WANT to farm, maybe they don't need it...

YOu say in this thread they are desperately poor.. maybe so - I have no proof either way.. but one thing's for sure they survived pretty well without help or support from the US>. so maybe they don't need it as much as you think? 
      November 29, 2016 3:39 PM MST