Discussion » Questions » Family » Did I grow up in a dysfunctional family?

Did I grow up in a dysfunctional family?

Patient grew up in a two-parent family with a six-years older sister. The family was dysfunctional in that in important but subtle ways the locus of power was not on the parents but in the mother’s older sister. The mother’s older sister was tyrannical; the parents were weak and dependent individuals with a poor level of autonomy. Both parents had never separated psychologically from their families of origin. This was especially true of the mother who was profoundly dependent on her older sister for emotional support. In important ways the mother’s sister infantilized the mother. Both parents acquiesced in mother’s sister’s arrogation of a parental role. The mother’s sister was childless and married to a man who showed a reaction formation against aggression; he ceded marital power to his tyrannical wife.

There was a lot of marital discord between the patient’s parents. In the patient’s early years (up to age 12) there was serious and continual discord centering on the father’s inability to serve as an adequate provider and the fact that mother was a Catholic and father was Jewish. All of the family members showed extreme individual narcissism, especially the mother’s older sister who was flagrantly grandiose. The mother’s sister once said to the patient: “I gave you everything you have. If it had been up to your father you would have had shit!”

The father had a violent temper. He used to beat the patient with a belt or cat ‘o nine tails when the patient was a boy. On one occasion the father attempted to murder the mother by strangulation in front of the children.

At least as it related to the patient, the mother was a negligent caretaker.

The mother’s mother (patient’s grandmother) was a paranoid and dysfunctional individual who was intensely and obsessively anti-Semitic. In the mother’s family of origin there was severe role reversal, with the mother’s older sister having to assume a maternal role in early childhood to compensate for the grandmother’s inadequacy.

There was a lot of parental favoritism in the patient’s family. The daughter, patient’s older sister, was assigned the role of good child. The patient was assigned the role of bad child, or scapegoat. The mother’s sister idealized patient’s sister but maintained a degrading and aggressive manner with the patient. Mother’s sister was contemptuous of the father, often referring to the father as a “louse” in front of the patient. Because of the mother’s dependency on her older sister she was psychologically incapable of protecting her son from her sister’s aggression against him.

Posted - December 8, 2016

Responses

Why don't you ask if anyone grew up in a functional family.  You will get much fewer answers. 
      December 8, 2016 9:18 AM MST

• Interesting scenario....i thought about it ....which is good... my feeling is... a lot of surmising has taken place there.. but we don't know for sure it's accurate.. may just be opinion, may be off on one or two points, that could entirely change meaning... and possible outcomes....

That said... it's entirely conceivable ... 

what did you think of it all? Do you have any personal connection with the story? Is it your patient, a friend or something you read? 
      December 8, 2016 10:03 AM MST

It's based on actual incidents.  I lived it!
      December 10, 2016 1:36 PM MST

• Ok sorry to hear that.. yes dysfunctional... but you are not alone, many people come from families that are less than perfect.. Eventually we escape and somehow have to try to undo the damage. 
      December 10, 2016 1:40 PM MST

My sister had two children.  One committed suicide at age 20.  The other entered three-time per week psychoanalysis at age 12 !!  Sounds like serious dysfunction to me !!
      December 10, 2016 2:09 PM MST

• Indeed you are correct... i only meant that people vary in their ability to cope with and come to terms with the damage... Some could endure less and be in the same situation of needing therapy... others could endure more and not need.  My own upbringing was far from un-dysfunctional 
      December 10, 2016 2:50 PM MST

Without reading the entire story, my immediate thought was that it is dysfunctional for the mother's older sister to have that much control.
      December 8, 2016 10:15 AM MST