Discussion » Questions » Family » Parents are EXPECTED to care for their kids until they're grown and old enough to be on their own. What is EXPECTED of adult children? Why?

Parents are EXPECTED to care for their kids until they're grown and old enough to be on their own. What is EXPECTED of adult children? Why?

Posted - December 9, 2016

Responses

if u have kids.u will know
      December 9, 2016 3:13 AM MST

I am a parent johnny. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday.
      December 16, 2016 3:20 AM MST

• I think Sidney Poitier said it best in one of his movies. Can't recall which one -- it was a long time ago.
    His father (in the movie) was berating him. "I raised you. I looked after you. I paid for your education. You owe me!
    And Poitier's character replied, "I owe you nothing. You had kids and we were your responsibility. I have a family and they are MY responsibility. Our responsibility is always to the future."

That's not to say that we shouldn't look out for our parents as we, and they, grow older, but that parents are wrong if they think that it SHOULD be the case. Too many people have had their lives ruined by emotional blackmail from selfish parents. It'll be a sad day when I ride on the backs of my kids.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 16, 2016 3:18 AM MST
      December 9, 2016 3:20 AM MST

I recommend your seeing a very old movie titled "Make Way for Tomorrow". It may change your outlook. Thank you for your reply B and Happy Friday to thee.
      December 16, 2016 3:19 AM MST

I don't EXPECT anything from my children except to be decent human beings. 

My children were my choice, just as their own children were their choice to have.  
      December 9, 2016 7:49 AM MST

If you ever get a chance to see an old movie titled "Make Way for Tomorrow" and you don't mind being heartbroken I highly recommend your seeing it SA. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday. You never know what circumstances will befall you in life. Often they assail you unexpectedly and knock you to your knees. :)
      December 16, 2016 3:18 AM MST

I'll try to see if I can find that movie Rosie. It's not always easy being a parent or an adult child with elderly parents.
    Have a wonderful weekend.  It's snowing and below zero here so I'm staying warm inside...lol
      December 17, 2016 8:15 AM MST

The children need to give their parents the due respect.
      December 16, 2016 12:36 AM MST

I saw a very old movie on TV on the Turner Classic Movie Channel that really moved me Autumn. The title was "Make way for tomorrow" I believe. Just before the story  begins the screen is filled with 5 words. "HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER". It's about an elderly couple and their 5 adult children. I don't want to recommend the movie exactly because it will leave you feeling so sad. It haunts me and I am very glad I saw it. It is touching and filled with love of the couple for each other. I can't say anything good about the 5 children. Perhaps one day you might watch it and then you can tell me what you think. Be warned. It is heartbreaking.  Thank you for your reply Autumn and Happy Friday m'dear!  :)
      December 16, 2016 3:15 AM MST

I will keep an eye open for this movie, thank you! Have a great Friday! :)
      December 16, 2016 11:23 PM MST