Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Many human parts are replaceable with robotics/machines/devices. What about a human brain? Could a robotic brain transplant work?

Many human parts are replaceable with robotics/machines/devices. What about a human brain? Could a robotic brain transplant work?

Posted - December 11, 2016

Responses

It seems to work for 'Rosie the Robot' from the Jetsons!
      December 11, 2016 9:26 AM MST

You know I'm aware that there was a long-ago cartoon with that name but I don't remember ever  watching it bh! Didja like Rosie?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      December 12, 2016 5:10 AM MST

• Hmm, that would be interesting. Of course, if we did that we may just end up like Bruce Willis in Surrogates.
      December 11, 2016 9:29 AM MST

I haven't heard of that movie CTG. Was that about a computer brain transplant? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      December 12, 2016 5:11 AM MST

• Happy Monday, Rosie!! Basically, in the movie human society now lives lives free of danger and pain by living through robotic versions of themselves. The main character (Bruce Willis) discovers the first murder in decades and must disconnect himself from his robotic self and risk his own life to uncover the conspiracy. It's a good movie. I haven't seen it in ages. It's not exactly a brain transplant but it's close to the idea. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 12, 2016 7:18 AM MST
      December 12, 2016 7:16 AM MST

I don't know, but the way things are going we sure could use some transplanting in Washington D.C.
      December 11, 2016 12:01 PM MST

Thank you for your reply.
      December 12, 2016 5:12 AM MST

In theory, yes.

In practice, we're a lonnnng way away from it.

There have been remarkable strides made in brain scanning and such. I recently read some researchers can show test subjects different movie clips and a machine algorithm can determine from brain patterns which movie clip a subject is watching.

But...and this is the important but, the smallest scale of brain activity we can usefully detect is volumes of brain matter on the order of 1 cubic millimeter. Any such volume contains MILLIONS of neuron connections which we can only observe in aggregate. If we cannot see what the neurons are doing, we have no real way of modeling their behavior in a non-biological device.

December 11, 2016 12:11 PM MST

Mahalo for a thoughtful, informative and helpful answer OS.  "What man can conceive man can achieve". Do you buy that? I think I do . :)
      December 12, 2016 5:13 AM MST