Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » If we did away with electricity/electronics/mechanical thingies robots couldn't exist. Should we? Go back/Undo. Like to ?

If we did away with electricity/electronics/mechanical thingies robots couldn't exist. Should we? Go back/Undo. Like to ?

How far back that would take us I do not know. But people survived without those things so we know it's possible. No fear about robot taking our jobs though. That's a good thing to know.

Posted - December 11, 2016

Responses

We should not cry for the buggy whip makers for they were born too late and that is their fault.
      December 11, 2016 7:05 AM MST

That sounds kinky!
      December 11, 2016 9:22 AM MST

• I wouldn't want to go back. We've made many great advancements that save lives especially in the medical field. We've cured many diseases with these machines as well, not to mention connecting the entire world  together via the internet and various transportation systems. Perhaps we need to find a balance between human and machine instead reverting to old ways.
      December 11, 2016 9:22 AM MST

Computers are my passion, I'd rather not go back to the old days before electricity. I was always fascinated by those times and thought those people were awesome how they could go without electricity and not get bored, but I wouldn't want to live in those times myself. I wonder how those people managed to live in places like Florida without air conditioning, I've had to go days/weeks without power after hurricanes plowed through and it was like torture..
      December 11, 2016 7:34 PM MST

Five billion people would have to volunteer to starve to death (or otherwise off themselves).

In the absence of modern industrial/chemical technology, the "carrying capacity" of the arable land on Earth is about 2 billion people.
      December 11, 2016 7:41 PM MST

Don't know if you noticed OS but I asked some robot-themed questions yesterday. About how the robots will replace humans..even middle-management jobs, not just on production lines. Staggeringly scary stats. It isn't immigrants taking jobs away. It isn't outsourcing jobs that's a big deal. It's replacing humans with robots. The new Department of Labor guy loves robots because they are never late, never have accidents, never take vacations, never have interpersonal problems, never sue. So how does someone who believes all that help folks find jobs? I don't get it. Mahalo for your reply! :) the robots are coming for your job. My oh my! :( This post was edited by RosieG at December 12, 2016 3:09 AM MST
      December 12, 2016 3:08 AM MST