Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Trans-women and "Vitamins for Men", should trans-women take them?

Trans-women and "Vitamins for Men", should trans-women take them?

Okay, I'm a trans-woman with degenerative joint problems.  I used GNC's "Mega Men's Joint Pack" before I transitioned.  I know from my endocrinologist that there are minor differences between men and women's vitamin supplements, but that there can be harmful amounts of certain things for the opposite sex if taken too often.  I'm mostly looking for suggestions on what I could take or if this would be okay for me.

Posted - July 6, 2016

Responses

I would say ask your doctor.
      July 6, 2016 5:11 AM MDT

I did.  She's of the schooling that dietary supplements aren't all that effective, although I've felt different when I was on them.

July 6, 2016 5:17 AM MDT

• And you think that here, in Answer Mug, is where you're going to find the answer to that?

July 6, 2016 7:03 AM MDT

If you think I'm looking for some sort of "here you go" statement, I'm not.  I'm looking for advice.  If you don't have any, kindly keep your snippy replies to yourself.  Thank you for your wasted time and effort.

July 7, 2016 12:33 AM MDT

Because of all the potential problems, I would not take a Vitamin specifically for one gender or another but if I felt compelled to use a Multi-Vitamin, it would be one suitable for either sex.

I have not looked at that particular product but I have used MSM from GNC and I do believe that GNC has quality products. I suppose I would use glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and beef gelatin as well as an essential amino acids tablet if I was trying to deal with such an issue along with a multivitamin. The amounts of any substance available in a Multi-Vitamin formula are often very small and just enough to keep us from developing any serious disorder if we miss anything in our diet. For this reason, if I had a joint disorder, and I do... I would be using substantial amounts of the things I mentioned.

I really hope you find something that offers some relief. Joint damage is obviously a very crippling issue and can be extremely painful and disabling as you know. :/

July 7, 2016 4:30 AM MDT

Thank you.  If I knew your name, I would write you in for President, unless you happen to be Bernie?

July 7, 2016 4:35 AM MDT

July 14, 2016 5:03 AM MDT