Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » For those asking political questions: What harm will it do to you if you had to post your questions inside the debate room?

For those asking political questions: What harm will it do to you if you had to post your questions inside the debate room?

Me: None. I already use other more tailored groups for other questions that aren't fitting inside a more varied main board. Furthermore, those who wants to reply on political questions will be inside the debate room together with me, and likely notice my question as much as now, if not even more. Hmm.

For newcomers, here is a link for the group: Debate Room

Posted - December 12, 2016

Responses

JaneS,
    This deserves a best reply if we had that option. It is about courtesy and leaving room for everyone to stay and enjoy our time spent here. It's not about censoring, but simply giving it a thought if there would be a better place to post the questions. We can always discuss what makes a question, and a true debate but that is another issue and should maybe better not be mixed into this question. Thank you so much for your reply/comment.
      December 13, 2016 7:29 AM MST

I don't think it's right to censor and I think we're looking at this from the wrong direction. If the people on this thread each asked one question a day, we would not look like a political site. The other questions would overrun the feed. I don't know if you remember how Princess Liz/ Tanzanite and I used to play on AB, but we'd assign each other topics and the other party would have to go ask 10-20 questions about it. I remember one time she gave me frogs, and before I knew it, the entire site was asking about frogs that night because I kicked off a trend. She and I did that time and time again... almost on a nightly basis for about six months. It was a hoot. Some people griped about the volume, but most people seemed to enjoy the diversity in questions. While I don't like the concept of "manipulation," that exactly what she and I were doing to the feed there. The same thing could be happening here. All it takes is a couple of people to decide they don't like the tone of the questions and go with something else. Those political questions will fade into obscurity. You guys already have the power to change what's on the site without restricting anyone. 

I'm going to think some more on this. I think there's a better way here. I may create a group for people who want to commit themselves to creating diversity in the feed... maybe an "I will ask 10 questions a day" or something. I could also drop a ticker or RSS feed on the home page with trending news as an inspirational thing to see if we can get more ideas hitting the board. IMO, that's the fix here. We need more diversity, not less political stuff. 

December 13, 2016 2:31 PM MST

I don't think anyone is asking for censoring, I know I'm not.

I have asked series of questions like suggested above, I have asked questions spread out over a time span, and I have given up to post single questions at certain times of the day as I knew they would be swamped and drown among the political questions. 

My suggestion was merely to get the debate room activated, and thereby at the same time give some room on the main board for more varied questions than the political ones. As it is right now we got approx 36% political questions. 28% of the political questions (10% of all questions) won't get one single reply and have a view rate under 6 But they will force other questions further down the list of asked questions. That's a shame in my opinion. My idea was giving space for everyone.
      December 13, 2016 2:48 PM MST

I think we would ask them to take their questions into a group if they start to make the majority of questions and drowning all the other questions. Why have a debate room of not making use of it? Aren't those asking the political questions sincerely interested in a debate?

i can't tell you why there is a political category when we have the debate room and I cannot tell you the history behind either of them as I haven't been a member long enough to know about the history.
      December 12, 2016 1:18 PM MST

I like having a main page that shows all recent posts.  If I want to limit myself, I choose a category and browse the questions there.  On various forums over the years, I would have missed a lot of really good stuff if I had to look everything up strictly by category/group, so having a main page showing all recent posts is my personal preference.  JMHO 
      December 12, 2016 11:47 AM MST

Dear Bozette. I follow your idea and would agree. However we cannot look up the questions in an overview and filter the political questions. It's only possible within the new system feed which by the way still would feature the questions when asked inside the debate room unless we filter the debate room in our news feed. 

I hope everything is well, you are issued around also if we don't always agree. All my best for you and yours. Merry Christmas. :-)
      December 12, 2016 1:33 PM MST

My point was I don't want to filter them out.  If one wishes to look at only questions in a particular category, they can.  I realize some would like to be able to customize their main page to eliminate the political questions, I like having the main page all inclusive...again, JMHO.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, SH.  :)
      December 12, 2016 1:41 PM MST

I got your wish, my comment was just meant that we cannot exclude the questions if we want to look all questions across the categories as long as political questions is not separated inot another room, and here does the debate room come to mind (my mind).

Thank you. :-)
      December 12, 2016 1:46 PM MST

I got your point from your posted question.  I simply disagree.  :)
      December 12, 2016 1:53 PM MST

:-)
      December 12, 2016 2:00 PM MST

They are nice wherever they are.
      December 12, 2016 12:48 PM MST

Yus. The question was more what harm it would do to those asking them if they posted them inside the debate room. But thanks anyway. :-)
      December 12, 2016 1:23 PM MST

Oh yes.  So we can fill the home page up with what?  People blowing hard about their love angst?  Or how about what is your favorite song?

The political questions STAY.  This site is getting more and more filled with too many cooks and not enough Indians.

Or too many Chiefs in the Kitchen. 

If you don't like the questions, move on to the next one or make your own questions.  Everything on here is turning into a club or a forum.  We need a home page like it is NOW. 
      December 12, 2016 12:53 PM MST

• Uhhhh..  It is a forum site.   That is what this is after all.  Just sayin'.
      December 12, 2016 1:20 PM MST

They way you bring this to attention reminds me of your preaching: too many Chiefs in the kitchen. Thanks making your own point Sharonna, and thank you for one more time not replying on the question asked. Have a nice day, and there's no need for you to get back to me as you just showed you're not interested in a dialogue. I don't cope well with your way of jumping in on questions you dislike. End of my participation in this part of the thread. 
      December 12, 2016 1:28 PM MST

There's always the old standby - "Am I Pretty?"
      December 12, 2016 2:32 PM MST

Or ami I pregnant.  Or what pill is this?
      December 12, 2016 2:33 PM MST

I know I'm relatively new on here, but perhaps the answer is to not bunch up the political questions one after another but to ask them at intervals so that the questions of others are interspersed. 
      December 12, 2016 2:40 PM MST

Yus. But means behavioural change which can't be hard to implement. :-/
      December 12, 2016 2:52 PM MST

True, but the fact that so many of those questions don't get answered at all should be a clue that something may need to be changed. 
      December 13, 2016 5:49 PM MST

It should, but that won't always be enough... sadly.
      December 13, 2016 10:45 PM MST

• That's what I was kinda saying all along.
      December 13, 2016 4:29 AM MST

Shouldn't a debate room be for debates? Most of the political questions are not really questions nor does the poster want a debate. They are statements and dissenting responses are dismissed. They originate from a poster who never reads or answers anyone else's questions, so is probably unaware of how much the site is dominated by those questions or if aware, does not care. While the current deluge of questions is mostly political, in the past other topics have gotten the same treatment. Addressing only political questions would be a temporary solution. 
    '
      December 12, 2016 4:19 PM MST

Guess you're right. :-/
      December 12, 2016 4:24 PM MST

• As someone new to this site who came over here with a group of people , I can say that I know the amount of political questions has run some "newbies" off this site. I've been fortunate to meet and interact with some kickazz' people here ( yourself included ) in my first few days and I like it here :)
    Could be time of day I'm on here why my experience has been better than friends I came over with , not really sure :) I'm hoping some of the people who closed their accounts will give it another go ..COS I SAID SO ;) we were looking for another site for a REASON so should not be so quick to rush to judgement.
    However I'm sure if after a few days my only experience on here was flipping though pages and pages of political questions ( statements ) I may have deleted my account as well.
    Not cos I personally really care or feel strongly about American politics nor am I offended by people's views on the topic ...I wouldn't like seeing 20 questions in a row about carrots either ... Or cats ... Or platypuses...well maybe platypuses would be okay.
    Anyway doesn't really offer a solution , just my perspective ( ramble) on the topic as a newcomer who's friends are droppin' like flies:(
      December 12, 2016 6:35 PM MST