Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Is there a way to sign up with FaceBook without a mobile phone?

Is there a way to sign up with FaceBook without a mobile phone?

A friend of mine is trying to join, but they said she has to do it with a mobile phone.
I had not heard that before.

Posted - December 12, 2016

Responses

• Hmm not sure but i do mine via computer not mobile and when i first got my facebook I didn't have a phone that could get internet ..
      December 12, 2016 2:57 PM MST

• Ughh... I finally bit the damn bullet on that POS site and still feel dirty doing it.

No you don;t need a phone.  I just don't think your friend knows what she/he's doing. 

It's just like signing on to any site.
      December 12, 2016 2:58 PM MST

I can elaborate a little for her.  She got locked out of her FB account for reasons unknown, possibly a hacking situation.  She has tried countless times to get her password reset, with no luck.  

So I suggested that she ought to create a new Facebook account.  To do this, she would need to create a different email since Facebook is really strict about having two accounts.

As she tries to create a new email account, she is asked for a mobile number.  She don't have one.  

Any clues of email servers that don't ask for a cell number to create a new email account?

I personally have never had to give out my mobile number and I always ignore any message that asks for it to secure it.
      December 12, 2016 3:10 PM MST

• Ahhh yeah.  Gotcha.   Yeah demanding a cell phone for new emails like all the major players are doing now is complete horse-flop. 

Hmmmm I know a few but they aren't usually acceptable to sites like FB.   Try AOL I think AOL still allows you not have a cell number put in.
      December 12, 2016 3:13 PM MST

Thank-you Glis.  It's total crap to demand a phone number.  I often use a disposable email addy if it's something unimportant I am signing up for.  Obviously, Facebook is going to want a legitimate email address. 
      December 12, 2016 3:16 PM MST

• Between the email providers, sites like FB that don't respect privacy, twitter that hates speech, Yahoo and Google spying and data mining for the feds.....  There is a whole lot of BS and f***ery going with internet these days.
      December 12, 2016 3:19 PM MST

I have a Bozette FB account now just because I couldn't see videos and things people linked without being on FB.  I used my anonymous bozette email account.    
      December 12, 2016 3:26 PM MST

• Or a trusted friend can create throw away email account for her and she just use it  to get a new FB page.
      December 12, 2016 3:15 PM MST

If Facebook will accept it, that is a good idea.  The problem seems to be that delay from contacting them and getting someone to answer back.
      December 12, 2016 3:17 PM MST

• She could try http://www.techemail.com or http://www.dcemail.com.
    Both offer free email accounts. Neither requires a phone number. And neither require her to offer a confirmation email address anywhere else.

Now she comes to the next hurdle. Her IP address will be linked to her existing (inaccessible) Facebook account. In order to sign up she may need to use an Internet cafe or a library (or the TOR browser).
      December 12, 2016 9:55 PM MST

That crossed my mind with Facebook being so strict with having more than one account.  But I once created an account that was just my screen name and that came from the same IP before knowing this strict rule.  I had no problems using it for a few weeks, but did "deactivate" it once I understood this was really frowned on.  Of course it still "exists" since FB never really deletes ANY account.  I just never sign on it.  

So hopefully, my friend will just be able to deactivate her new account once she can access her old.  I feel really bad that this is no simple task.  Facebook can be a lifeline to those that are housebound for a host of reasons.
      December 13, 2016 8:43 AM MST

• I guess so. I had an account for a while but the amount of inanity posted on my page younger "friends" drove me nuts. I closed it very quickly.
      December 13, 2016 12:45 PM MST

Try netzero.com   They have never asked me for my cell phone.
      December 13, 2016 1:21 PM MST

Thanks I will tell her.
      December 13, 2016 1:29 PM MST

I've never had Internet on a mobile. My wife does have facebook on hers but you do have to watch that it doesn't run away with your data allowance. This post was edited by Malizz at December 12, 2016 4:25 PM MST
      December 12, 2016 4:24 PM MST

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Something has to work.
      December 13, 2016 9:59 AM MST