Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Are any other single people besides myself slightly insulted being told " There's someone for everyone" or " You'll find someone,someday"?

Are any other single people besides myself slightly insulted being told " There's someone for everyone" or " You'll find someone,someday"?

I get that a lot when all I have said is I am single.
Sometimes people seem to jump to the conclusion that being single means one is lonely.   That our being single is an hurdle to our happiness as a person and that we are so because we aren't granted the chance to be in a relationship.   Is it really that hard to believe that a single person has chosen to be so?  Why is being single often seen as something to be pitied?  For some it may be a source of discomfort and lonesomeness.  For them I can understand. Yet there are those of us who are perfectly comfortable in our situation and it's kind of insulting when people assume that we are doing so against our own will.   Some of us are doing fine in our single lives and don't want your sympathy or your pity because of our choices or comfort levels.

Please don't assume it's a problem unless it is stated that we want a change in the situation.

Posted - December 14, 2016

Responses

I use to hear it, but I don't hear anything anymore.
      December 14, 2016 6:45 PM MST

Especially if you know they're thinking "what's WRONG with you"??

I've not really gotten it much, because people who know me understand why I'm not exactly excited about the prospect of being in a "relationship" again. I'm sure there are those who don't REALLY know me who wonder if I've started 'playing for the other team'. I haven't, but I don't care if someone thinks that.

I can't say that I actually know very many (any?) people who are truly happily married. I can say that my friends see how truly happy and at peace I am most of the time, and they understand why I'm not looking to jeopardize that.
      December 14, 2016 8:23 PM MST

I've been single a long time and don't want to change that. I was married for a long time too.   I like having someone special in my life but I need to keep my own house and a lot of alone time.  I have that and am very happy.

If someone ever said those things to me I would say What the hell is wrong with you?  If I wanted to not be single, I would not be single.   There is no excuse for some people.  

Oh, and single means not married. 
      December 14, 2016 8:55 PM MST

• I understand exactly your position.
      December 17, 2016 1:10 PM MST