Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What is the major religion in Russia? Is it still athiesm? Is God still dead over there? I bet the Christians won't like that conversion.

What is the major religion in Russia? Is it still athiesm? Is God still dead over there? I bet the Christians won't like that conversion.

Posted - December 16, 2016

Responses

I believe it is Christian Orthodox Catholic.
      December 16, 2016 9:52 AM MST

• Circle frame.svg

Religion in Russia (2012)[1][2]

Spiritual but not religious (25%)
      Atheism (13%)
      Islam (6.5%)
      Undecided (5.5%)
      Unaffiliated Christian (4.1%)
      Other Christian/religion (1.7%)
      Other Orthodox (1.5%)
      Slavic native faith, other Pagan and Tengrist (1.2%)
      Tibetan Buddhism (0.5%

( C&P from wikipedia) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 7, 2017 4:46 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 10:10 AM MST

• Atheism is not a religion BTW
      December 16, 2016 10:17 AM MST

It MOST certainly IS.  And it is just as ludicrous as many religions.  It is a faith.  It is not a proof and it has tons of slavish followers who don't know God and that is what their "religion" is based on.    No proof, and the wisest of the lot just give scientific conjecture.  But it is still a religion.   Most of their reasoning is totally silly.  They have a list of man-made physical laws and think they have it DOWN.  What a joke. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 16, 2016 10:24 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 10:22 AM MST

• Atheism is a lack of faith, not a faith.

Of course there is no proof.   A negative cannot be proven and the burden of proof always lays on  the one saying something does exist.   That's basic logic and reason.  There is no evidence or proof of supernatural beings so not believing in them is anything BUT faith.

There is no faith, no dogma, no magic, no supernatural force or being, no belief structure, no ceremonies.....   No religion.
      December 16, 2016 10:27 AM MST

I'm not in the mood for this right now.  I have to go and this is a HUGE ass subject. 

Atheism IS a religion, do not kid yourself.   I call any branch of "faith" that deals with God and has a group of slavish followers who think they have the "answer" a religion.  Or a cult.  You choose.  They cannot prove it because they are dead wrong.  That is why.   I literally have THOUSANDS of these tapes.    Okay hundreds then.

God is not dead.   He is alive and living in all of us

http://adventureofgod.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-atheist-critic-interviews-sri-satya.html

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 16, 2016 1:11 PM MST
      December 16, 2016 10:40 AM MST

• Atheism doesn't attempt to answer anything.    There is no faith.  Kinda what the definition of the word is.  Absence of faith.   Anyone who is saying atheism answers something, attempts to, or proves something has no concept of what they are talking about.

Cannot prove it because it is logically impossible to prove a negative or something doesn't exist.  That's the fundamental flaw in that argument.  If you believe otherwise prove to me that there isn't a pink teapot orbiting the sun that is too tiny to be seen or that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn who controls the fate of the universe.  See?  You can't.
      December 16, 2016 11:58 AM MST

• Oh boy!  A slanted religionist trying to vilify atheism.   Havn't seen that before.

A follower quoting the word salads of a self-aggrandizing pedophile swami who said he could make gold appear out of thin air just isn't very convincing.

Look,  I don't mean to put you down for your beliefs but when you say one religion is batcrap and that atheist are part of a slavish cult.   You kind of bring it on yourself Sharonna when someone picks apart your belief  that really isn't any different or with any more proof/logical reasoning  than other religions.
      December 16, 2016 12:23 PM MST

Okey dokey.   Let's do China next.
      December 16, 2016 10:20 AM MST

Russia is a multi-ethnic and multi-faith nation. Orthodox Christianity is Russia's largest religion with 75% of the population belonging to the Orthodox Christian denomination. Islam is professed by 5% of the population. Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism and Buddhism are professed by 1% of the population each. Other religious denominations represent 1% of the population, while 8% consider themselves atheists.  (Info is from 2010)

http://masterrussian.com/russia/facts.htm

Not much evidence of any Christian Principles at the highest levels of government, it would seem.

This post was edited by tom jackson at December 19, 2016 7:13 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 10:18 AM MST

Wow.   Thank you.  What a difference 4 decades make. 
      December 16, 2016 10:19 AM MST

I would think some type of Orthodox as when they are Orthodox they have a habit of discriminating against other religions like Jehovah's Witnesses and passing laws to persecute. (Just my personal speculation that the Russian Orthodox Church has something to do with it.)

Videos showing government suthorities planting banned material on JW homes and Kingdom Halls sometimes resulting in seizure of such: Russian Authorities Fabricate Evidence to Charge Witnesses With Extremism and
     Caught on Camera: Russian Authorities’ Blatant Actions to Fabricate Evidence
      December 16, 2016 10:43 AM MST

So many Christian religions.  So many branches of total nonsense.  Why don't you all WAKE UP.  There is ONE God and He is omnipresent and doesn't care about Orthodox or Witnesses.  He cares about each individual soul since we are all part and parcel of God.  How could we not be?

So, be a Catholic, be a Protestant be what you want, but love all. 
      December 16, 2016 10:53 AM MST

So he don't care if our religion leads to violence?

Whats the point of your question here: Why does religion cause violence?
      December 16, 2016 11:16 AM MST

• Russia is interesting when it comes to religion isn't it.. they tried to ban it... religion is the opiate of the masses and all that.. but they couldn't...and testiment to that is that most are, as others have said already, orthadox christian. 

One wonders how their belief in God ties in with what their government is doing invading other countries...
      December 16, 2016 11:33 AM MST

Russian Catholic Orthodox Church.
      December 16, 2016 11:46 AM MST

Jesus just called and asked me for two asprin.  He just got a huge migraine. 

Kidding I like it.
      December 16, 2016 11:50 AM MST

Eastern Orthodox This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 16, 2016 3:03 PM MST
      December 16, 2016 3:02 PM MST

The Russian orthodox church. Strongly influencing the politics of the current government as do the major religions in other countries. (Revelation 17:15-18)
      December 24, 2016 12:13 AM MST