Discussion » Questions » Family » Would you keep trying?

Would you keep trying?

Have two cousins who are now in college, and I've always been a part of their lives. I'm in early 30's, and have seen them for lunch, parties, hang outs and holidays. Recently however, I just feel they do not reciprocate ever contacting me first. At 18 I was contacting my older cousin, or whoever, when I wanted to see them , but they never have. I just feel like I 'should' continue b/c I'm their older cousin, but it just doesn't feel great. They have many monetary things I never had, they take trips, live on campus now, and it seems if I don't contact them they simply wouldn't... what would you do?

Posted - December 17, 2016

Responses

• I would sit back, and see what happens. Why should I always have to be the first one?
    Hate to say it, but kind of seems they don't want to be bothered with you. They need to reciprocate, or.... bye bye?
    Perhaps they're the type to look down on you, because they have what you don't? You sure don't need that type, anyway, cousins or not.
    I hope it works out in your favour. 
      December 17, 2016 8:59 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughts friend... I have felt just what you said. Im always the one to go forth with all fam. members it seems to talk, email or get together.. why always me??? I do love them, but it seems it just doesn't matter all too much if they saw me or not.... thank you for your reply again-  love your name lol.
      December 17, 2016 9:37 PM MST

• Well! Glad you agree. You're welcome. Thanks about the name. :)

All my cousins drifted apart from my siblings and me, when we were still kids. 
      December 17, 2016 9:42 PM MST

• We all have different roles in a group. And family is no different.
    There's always someone in the family whom I call the name carrier. That's the person that aggravates everybody with plans for Christmas and thanksgiving parties. He calls and sends cards for every occasion.
    They are the glue that keeps the family together and the force that prevents everybody to go in every which direction.
    She / He carries the flag for the family name and when the person is not there, this cohesion dies too.
    If it is you, the flag bearer in your family, there's nothing wrong with it. 
      December 18, 2016 5:44 AM MST

They sound rich. You generally want to stay on the good side of rich relatives. So you can be friends with them on Facebook, but NOT Instagram or SnapChat.
      December 18, 2016 6:13 AM MST

• This is ridiculous.
      December 18, 2016 6:29 AM MST

• WTH!!??
      December 18, 2016 9:36 PM MST

I would write them and express this sentiment to them.   It is truly their loss if they lose contact with such a caring and concerned relation.
      December 18, 2016 6:15 AM MST