Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Business » Any mechanics out there ?

Any mechanics out there ?

If there are any mechanics out there, or anyone who knows about cars... I need to have my blinker switches done; I was quoted 320 bucks today including labor.. then they brought it down to a little under 300 for me, but this seems high to me still. Does anyone know roughtly what that might be to have two blinker switches (through a main switch ) done ? (my brake lights are out because of the loose switch too... ) :( 

Posted - December 20, 2016

Responses

The year/make/model of the car in question would be enormously helpful.

If it's a 1956 Chevy Bel Air, you're being ripped off.

If it's a 2016 Buggati Veyron, then the repair is a smoking bargain.

Also, it would help if you would clarify what is meant by "blinker switches." Are you refering to the steering column stalk you use to turn your blinkers on and off, or is a component somewhere else?
      December 20, 2016 11:23 AM MST

Its a car with a year of 1998... so it is not new. The switches are in the steering column stalk I am pretty sure..
      December 20, 2016 11:25 AM MST

Sorry, still no enough info.

My rough guess is the charge is probably about market rate, but without more detail about what kind of car and what exactly is being replaced, I can't really give you a good opinion.
      December 20, 2016 11:31 AM MST

so the diagnosis is 'needs 2 blinker switches'  and the y pu t 75 bucks next to that... so how is it nearly 300 lol.... I understand labor, that would be maybe 150 or so... so it brings it to $ 225. I had NO idea that blinker switches were so pricey !! I am unsure whether I should have just done it at 280 bucks, or waited for my dad's friend.. no I am w/out brake lights (they are out due to blinkers being 'off' ) for 2 more days :/ ughh I wish i knew WHAT went on in cars more lol
      December 20, 2016 11:47 AM MST

Seems reasonable to me. Mechanics are like plumbers. They can charge whatever they want because nobody else can do it. Not sure why they aren't all millionaires, but maybe they secretly are rich.

IT "people" (I don't think they're human), are the new plumbers and mechanics. That's also why they charge so much.

The secret knowledge these people hold is a drain on bank accounts everywhere. This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at December 20, 2016 8:45 PM MST
      December 20, 2016 11:36 AM MST

For two switches though??? nearly 300 ?? It just seems high for two loose switches; I guess there is labor of course, but , that would be about 150 , adn then plus the part, equals 210 bucks. You are right, I guess they charge anything , b/c they well, can. I just wish I knew which was the right or feasible price, b/c I REALLY needed it done today but my dad had said to wait for his friend... but it is cutting it on Fri right before Christmas eve (and it is not the best thing to be w/out brake lights the next couple days.. )  Ty for your reply Mr. Boring.. ( i like ur name hehe.. whoever thinks they are 'it' and all that lol, is usually not, and those who think they are boring, are cool  ;)
      December 20, 2016 11:44 AM MST

Maybe they have that same attitude as a plumber who when asked why he only worked two days a week when he could make a fortune with this hourly rate responded,  well...................the trailer's paid for.
      December 20, 2016 8:44 PM MST

• What SKOS said.  It's all about the make and model and year.   Some of these cars bury this stuff and it's a nightmare to get to and others it's cakewalk.  
    For a new turn signal switch with parts and labor on something from 98????  I'd say it's on the high end of fair in general terms.  Just make sure if he gives you a used one that it was factory tested.  If it's just a used one that he found on the lot and works then I'd try and bring him down a little.   In general a $100 for a replacement signal switch and 2hrs labor sounds pretty accurate for most cars from the late 90's.

My best advice would be to do a little digging online about your problem and what parts tend to go for and go to him with that.  Having even a small idea gives you lots of power in haggling.
      December 20, 2016 11:56 AM MST

I had this problem with my 4 ways light AND my turn signals. They said it was the "body Computer". Check in your manual to see if you have a "blinker relay" located under the dashboard...usually near the fuse box. Mine didn't but you might get lucky and only have to spend a few dollars to replace it yourself.
      December 20, 2016 1:48 PM MST

Have you checked the simple stuff, like a blown fuse?
      December 20, 2016 8:47 PM MST

• I'll be right over with my tools.
      December 20, 2016 8:49 PM MST

Hey...I used some of that stuff to hold a fender together. It worked great.
      December 21, 2016 10:45 AM MST