Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » what does it take to get a job these days?

what does it take to get a job these days?

Ive had two situations recently where ive gone out of my way, one was at a calling center where i paid for cabs every morning cause the buses werent running that early, did this for two wks and then was forced out cause i got a 73 during training instead of an 85, then tutor doc got really interested in me but it was an hr away, the jobs wouldve been where i live, they sounded really interested so i couldnt get a ride, so i paid a cab $276 including a tip to go there and interview, the lady seemed nice and was real interested when we were emailing, 2 wks later and i still never hear from them again. should i ask these two companies for my money back? Rover.com is interested in me where i could housesit and watch dog, but id have to get a smart phone and then pay a phone bill every month, after these experiences i decided not to do that, figured if they want me they can call me on my landline. any suggestions? im fed up to be honest.

Posted - December 22, 2016

Responses

I honestly don't know either.
      December 22, 2016 10:17 AM MST

Tbh you really can't ask the companies to pay any expenses you have occurred while trying to get a job. Transportation to an interview is your responsibility. 

It could be that you need a cell phone so the company can get a hold of you wherever you are working, so they can't get a hold of you on your landline if you are not there. It might be a good investment in a cell phone.  It's better than paying over $200 in cab fare.
    Wishing you the best

This post was edited by SA (SuperA) at December 22, 2016 3:42 PM MST
      December 22, 2016 10:45 AM MST

i already have a tracfone. im just tired of paying extra expenses for nothing
      December 22, 2016 11:13 AM MST

pearl, most times you need to spend money in order to MAKE money. 
      December 22, 2016 12:32 PM MST

• I think... determination is what it takes to get a job and keep it.. OK so you have had some pretty nasty disappointments.. but you did the right things and yes, you went out of your way to impress... that's good.. That they didn't appreciate it is their fault rather than yours - to be honest they don't sound nice places to work.. and clearly don't appreciate when someone goes the extra mile. 

I am afraid technically speaking you cannot ask for your money back.. you chose to do those things, to go to the interview etc... unless they asked you to you really cannot ask for the money back - even though again its disappointing...

The only slight bit of constructive criticism I might give is that perhaps you try too hard for the wrong job? Choose something near you, choose something you like and are interested in.. don't waste your efforts on jobs that aren't going to help you get what and where you need to go...

I say this as a mum who's had two sons who struggled to get jobs... and my younger son still only has a temporary job and could get fired at a moments notice... but he's working hard and doing everything he can to impress and get a permanent position there..
      December 22, 2016 10:49 AM MST

the jobs itself wouldve been near me, just the interview wasnt
      December 22, 2016 11:15 AM MST

No offense, but it's hard to imagine someone making so many bad financial decisions, resulting in hundreds of lost dollars, at a time when they're unemployed. I have a hard time understanding your concern about buying a cheap cell phone with a limited plan that would make job searching easier, yet you shell out $276+ for a one hour cab ride to an interview for a job you didn't get. 

It would be my suggestion to consider only the jobs in your immediate area that you can afford to travel to, and eliminate those jobs that require you to travel to a distant location for an interview. 

Then when you finally get a job, I suggest you save up your money to purchase a vehicle  

Also, you might want to think about enrolling in a few college classes and getting yourself some marketable skills. And eventually a better paying job with benefits far greater than that of a dog or a house sitter.

i wouldn't think of asking for reimbursement of your cab costs. You made the decision to spend your money unwisely, not them. 

I wish you luck. 

This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at December 22, 2016 3:44 PM MST
      December 22, 2016 10:58 AM MST

i know i was dumb to spend the money, i had some savings from the job i lost so i thought it would be worth it but i was wrong. the jobs wouldve been in my area, it was just the interview that wasnt. this was only two wks ago,and i wondered if its cause kids are out of school right now, maybe they'll call me later on
      December 22, 2016 11:17 AM MST

I would never say dumb. We all make unwise decisions throughout our lives and that's how we learn. 

Hopefully you'll receive that call. 

December 22, 2016 11:26 AM MST

You're not dumb pearl!! 
      December 22, 2016 12:44 PM MST

I've already suggested this to you, but I think you'd do better on a platform like UpWork. There are lots of job opportunities, especially for those who are bilingual. Just take odd jobs from companies that have good ratings already. Don't waste your time on new companies or the ones with too-good-to-be-true offers. You will strike out a lot, but you can get into a niche in the areas you perform well in. It's really important that, before you begin applying, you give yourself an honest assessment of your skills. UpWork even has tests you can take to demonstrate where your skills are. Apply for the jobs you'll excel in- not just anything. i.e. If you apply for a blog writer job, it's probably not going to go well for you. I don't think you'd enjoy it and you'd be going up against people with years of writing experience, but maybe you can get something in data entry or translation. Maybe even a personal assistant job would work, depending on what they need done.
      December 22, 2016 11:48 AM MST

Great advice JA.  Being bilingual really gives a person an edge over others at times.  I was the only bilingual person at my last place of employment.  I even translated for my supervisers...lol 
    I went through Voc Rehab in my city to get my assessments and tests done. I ended up working in a field I loved.  
      December 22, 2016 12:43 PM MST