Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Do you feel hopeful about your country or hopeless? Why?

Do you feel hopeful about your country or hopeless? Why?

Posted - December 22, 2016

Responses

Hopeless. 

I'm sure programmers will continue to excel.
      December 22, 2016 12:14 PM MST

Excel. Wasn't that a software program? I'm feeling hopeless too Mr.B. Not my usual place to be. Things change. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      December 23, 2016 3:50 AM MST

Yes, every one should, not to means you're a quitter.
      December 22, 2016 12:43 PM MST

I feel hopeless and that is not my normal MO. Do you mind sharing exactly what makes you hopeful? Thank you for your reply TomT and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      December 23, 2016 3:51 AM MST

It is rather odd that half the country wants it to succeed while half wants it to fail. OOOPPPSSS!!!!!  That was during the O'Bama Administration. 
      December 22, 2016 1:21 PM MST

You didn't answer the question I asked. Happy Friday.
      December 23, 2016 3:52 AM MST

Hopeless at the moment, with the nadir occurring shortly after Trump is sworn in.

Then I will again become hopeful again on the principle that once he's sworn in, that's the worst think that could ever happen.

I don't care what he thinks; I don't like what he is.
      December 22, 2016 3:02 PM MST

I think once PET is sworn in impeachment proceedings will begin. Everything about him is an affront to our country and its people. But that is what enough of the  people wanted apparently to get him elected. I don't get it tom. I don't. Hard as I have tried to make sense of it I am not smart enough to figure out the why. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday!  :)
      December 23, 2016 3:54 AM MST

TOTALLY HOPELESS

When this pig gets done, we are lucky if we can ever  pick up the pieces.   When will his reign of terror end?  Will he build a fortress in the House and Senate so impenitrable  that we are stuck with this political travesty and his amazingly incompetent decisions for decades?  I wonder.   I think the worst so far.  I wish I could leave this country.  I really am sick to death of all of these AMERICANS.  I cannot stand the thought of going to my relatives for Christmas.  They are all proud Republicans.  I think I will take a pass this year and maybe for good.  I can not stand to even look at them any more.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 23, 2016 9:57 PM MST
      December 22, 2016 4:43 PM MST

((hugs)) I completely understand Sharonna. I'm feeling totally hopeless as well. Here's the thing. Once he is sworn in impeachment proceedings should begin immediately because of the emoluments clause in the Constitution. He will beyond unconstitutional and  illegal at that point. But with the toadies in  both houses and a  SCOTUS that you know is impotent who is going to actually smack him down and take him out? No one that's who. SIGH. I sure spend a lot of time sighing lately. Why so many people value our country so little that they would  agree to be complicit in in stalling this evil despot as head of state is beyond me. Can it be that they are all evil despot wannabes?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)                                                 
      December 23, 2016 3:59 AM MST

I'm usually optimistic about the world in general,and my nation in particular :(
    A few months ago I saw an interview with John Cleese(of Monty Python fame)
    Cleese opined that when he first began coming to the U.S.,he was impressed with how well informed the Americans seemed,vis-a-vis Englishmen but he had seen that change over the last twenty five years.
    Now we seemed to Cleese,generally ill informed and ignorant.
    It surprises me to agree with JC but the last election was the last straw...
    There was a reason why Jefferson and the other Founding Fathers set up a public school system:informaation is the life-blood of democracy.
    Alas most people get their news from Facebook or blogs annd newspapers are nearly extinct..sad
      December 23, 2016 2:32 AM MST

I'm with you bookerdana. And I agree with John Cleese. Ignorance is the basis of what happened in the election. That is the best-case scenario. The American people CONSPIRED with Putin/Russia to install an evil despot as head of state. Either they are obtuse/ignorant or they are budding evil despots too.  There is no other plausible reason.  They clearly have contempt for our country and its values and its history and its traditions. Will we ever get back to the country we used to be? I don't see how. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      December 23, 2016 4:03 AM MST

Of course there was the rejection of Washington thing,too. But to actually throw the nation to a light-weight,narcissistic man with little or no relevant skills was stunningly ignorant,frighteningly so!

I guess we'll all have to weather the coming storm as best we can.
    Merry Christmas,Rosie
      December 23, 2016 9:56 PM MST

What other choice do we have m'dear? Thank you for your reply bookerdana and Happy Saturday! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! :)
      December 24, 2016 2:32 AM MST

I am hopeful for me and mine, and my hope for the country comes and goes. Right now it is at a low ebb.
      December 24, 2016 12:10 PM MST