Active Now

my2cents
Randy D
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » How to deal with coworker who thinks I'm racist?

How to deal with coworker who thinks I'm racist?

I have a coworker who keeps making comments under her breath as if I'm racist when I'm not. I think it's because I'm from the south originally and my voice and appearance seem that way. So far she commented on the fact I called her athletic because she was talking about playing softball in college and the fact I made a weed comment. (I'm the one who smokes lol, not that I'd say that at work!) but another part of me suspects that she is kidding with me and I just don't get it... I have no clue what to do...

Posted - July 6, 2016

Responses

• you can't reason with people who already have preconceived notions.  The more you try and say, "I'm not racist", the more she will think you are racist.  Just go about your business and leave it at that.  I personally find those who claim racism the most, are the most racist of the bunch.

July 6, 2016 7:34 PM MDT

Personally if someone was making comments under their breath to me, I would only speak to them as needed for work to get done. I would be very polite and respectful but no more than that. And more would likely just lead to a argument.
      July 6, 2016 8:59 PM MDT

July 6, 2016 9:46 PM MDT

July 6, 2016 9:46 PM MDT

Your Co-worker is the one who is the racist..  She is playing a game with you alright.. Trying to use ""your a racists"" to get you on the defensive...   All a part of a power game..

July 7, 2016 12:52 AM MDT

Don't deal with her.  Let idiots be.

July 7, 2016 9:08 AM MDT

• If you're not a racist .. then what do you care what she thinks?  

July 7, 2016 9:14 AM MDT

July 7, 2016 9:18 AM MDT

That really isn't something to even joke about in the workplace if she isn't someone you know very well.

It amazes me how people in other regions of the country stereo type those of us from The Glorious Southern States of the United States and they think that is perfectly alright but if they become part of a stereotype... it is just horrible!

I have been in several different states and only experienced a severe amount of racism firsthand in one of the states and most Americans will never go to that state anyway.

As far as actually answering your question, I would try and only have necessary interactions until I was sure about her.

There is no time for racism in life at all in my opinion but some people are super sensitive to everything and sometimes call things racism that are in no way intended to be racist. All we can really do with people like that is ignore them. There are people in many companies and even who work for our government who are just waiting for someone to say something that could somehow be twisted into racism so they can file a lawsuit. Such people exist in the government and our tax dollars and up paying these frivolous lawsuits and they still get to work at the job and often even get promotions in an effort to pacify them.

I really hope you are right and she is just kidding but it isn't something that a white person, especially from the south can joke about even if this other person is. Whatever race this woman is, I hope she realizes we are living in a much better time for minorities. I have had friends who grew up in the 1960s with all that turmoil and I heard a lot of stories and have seen movies as well as actual video footage from that period and I realize things are so much different now. I don't know how anyone in the country could have been happy with the segregation and treating humans with complete disrespect. For the minorities that are alive who experienced all that, they know what racism was. Now racism seems to have a new meaning. Unfortunately we just have to sit back and ignore that type but fortunately it only seems like a very few are that way.

July 7, 2016 9:39 AM MDT

I have an idea. 

I would go up to her racist face and tell her OFF.

ASK HER.  Ask her what you are doing that she thinks she has the RIGHT to profile YOU.  Tell her if she doesn't stop it, maybe the two of you can take this into Human Relations or whatever you call that office at your job.  Let her tell the company why she thinks it is okay to call you names such as this illegal one and ruin your career because she thinks she is entitled to hold sway over all things she thinks are racist.

A racist is someone who is doing what SHE is doing, not you. 

July 7, 2016 9:58 AM MDT

just tell her youre not

July 9, 2016 9:24 PM MDT