Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you have shelves full of obsolete physical media?

Do you have shelves full of obsolete physical media?

Will Millenials try to take it from you?

Posted - December 26, 2016

Responses

I was going to say yes, but it's not obsolete if you can still read/listen to/watch it, right?

Yes, millennials actually HAVE taken some of it from me! For their own use! : )
      December 26, 2016 4:56 PM MST

• Nope.   I got rid of all those CD's and DVD's a few years ago.  They waste too much space when the 'puter can take care of it all.
    Got rid of all the books I read and will never likely read again.   
      December 26, 2016 5:15 PM MST

I didn't know you were a Millenial Kool Persun.
      December 26, 2016 5:22 PM MST

• You think of  me as a person?
      December 26, 2016 6:19 PM MST

MEH This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at December 26, 2016 6:21 PM MST
      December 26, 2016 6:21 PM MST

•   December 26, 2016 6:23 PM MST

You left out your T ;)
      December 27, 2016 2:25 AM MST

Ya I have 2 banana boxes full of VHS movie tapes  got no player for them tho. But no millennials will try and take them away from me because they know I'm old school and I can fix their wagon  in ways they never even heard about. Cheers and Happy New Year!
      December 26, 2016 5:16 PM MST

In some cases they can have it.
      December 26, 2016 7:09 PM MST

AB-Rich of the former Answerbag keeps a Museuem of Obsolete Storage Media in his office at the University of Hawaii.
      December 26, 2016 7:19 PM MST

• I have a  shizat ton of old DVDs if that's what you mean :) I stream most stuff now on my android box. But sometimes..... You gotta get on your knees and go though old DVDs and remember when Kevin Smith movies was all you needed to make you smile on a Thursday night :) clerks was  the shizatt :) I may have to crawl around in my basement again soon :)
      December 26, 2016 8:52 PM MST

I have a few movies I can always look for on Netflix instead of a dvd player which I don't have.
      December 26, 2016 9:00 PM MST

• Obsoletish. I have VHS tapes but no machine, two iMacs that are too old and slow to be useful, a  game console that was popular for about a week and a shedload of audio cassettes - which are still used, and why not.
      December 26, 2016 9:03 PM MST

• You bought an Ouya?
      December 27, 2016 7:33 AM MST

If it's still useable, why not? If it suits you, why not? Who is to tell you your music or literature library is obsolete? And why? Genuine technical improvement or mere "must-have"?

The problem is not so much the media themselves (yes, 'media' is plural!) but the trade giving the operating-equipment and programmes very short lives. Magnetic media, especially floppy discs and tapes, deteriorate over a few years, though, anyway.

As for books - -yes I've shelves and boxes of books. Only a few years ago the experts predicted the demise of the printed book, but if anything book editions and sales have now overtaken digital versions after falling behind for a time. Many people might listen to streamed music but prefer to read from a physical book, not a screen; and a text-book, learned-journal or technical drawing is often much easier to use in paper format.

Besides which, although all media can be destroyed by fire, flood etc., properly-stored ink on paper has a potential life of centuries. With appropriate skill in their font and language, we can read Mediaeval documents or books perfectly well. No-one yet has been able to guarantee something you file digitally now, being readable even 10 years hence no matter the technique or format, never mind 1000. Some historians have wondered if their successors a few centuries on will be able to make much sense of our society because its dependence on computer and server, and data-protection laws, may potentially create huge holes in the archives.      
      December 28, 2016 5:30 PM MST